Letter: ?Speech should have protected status

In recent weeks, it was reported that the UNC wrestling coach, C.D. Mock, had made controversial remarks on his personal blog on the nature of sexual assault and how it is litigated within the University system.

In response to these statements, some have called for the termination of his position within the University.

As a society, there have been laws set up to prevent employers from discriminating against their employees on the basis of race, religion, sex or national origin. This was included in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Other laws have been put in place in order to extend these protections to different categories, such as age and disability.

Firing someone based on his or her political or social beliefs sets a very dangerous precedent. One could easily see how this could end up turning into an abuse of power.

For example, an employer could coerce his or her employees into supporting a particular candidate under threat of termination of their position. While this practice is generally unheard of, it would be a legal maneuver in many states.

The current system gives people who are in positions of power and authority the capability of engineering their social or political beliefs into the fabric of society.

Whether you agree with the beliefs or not, free speech is only free if it includes the ability to share an unpopular opinion, no matter how upsetting.

Canada has tackled this issue first hand. The Canadians have passed laws that prohibit employment discrimination based on “political belief” in many of their territories. 

It would be a wise, progressive move for states in the U.S. to follow their lead.

Chris Stephens

Sophomore

Political Science