Tar Heels fall short against Gamecocks, 17-13

Despite an improved defensive showing, turnovers doomed UNC.

South Carolina surrounds senior quarterback Marquise Williams (12). Williams threw three interceptions on Sept. 3 in a 17-13 loss against the Gamecocks.

“It is very disappointing,” said UNC coach Larry Fedora.

“It’s disappointing because you had opportunities to win the football game. It would be different if we walked in here and we just got our butt beat and didn’t have a chance to win."

Starting quarterback Marquise Williams threw three interceptions during the game — all of them coming in the red zone.

Both teams’ offenses started strong, scoring passing touchdowns in the first quarter, before back-to-back-to-back field goals — two for UNC, one for USC — left the Tar Heels leading 13-10 headed into the half.

After a lackluster third quarter by both teams, South Carolina started the fourth quarter by taking advantage of an inconsistent UNC run defense. Redshirt senior Shon Carson rushed for a 48-yard touchdown on the first drive of the quarter, putting the Gamecocks up 17-13.

Perhaps the most pivotal play of the game came with 3:40 left in the fourth quarter, with the Tar Heels 8 yards from the end zone on fourth down. Marquise Williams dropped back, rolled out of the pocket and promptly fired his third interception — his second end zone pick to junior linebacker Skai Moore.

With that, South Carolina Coach Steve Spurrier and the Gamecocks only needed to run out the clock to ensure their victory.

Quotable

“I think the football gods smiled on the Gamecocks tonight,” South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier said.

Notable

UNC’s new-look defense performed admirably in the opener, holding South Carolina to just 17 points and 394 total yards.

Three numbers that matter

47: The length of a field goal Nick Weiler made during the second quarter, 17 yards further than the Tar Heels’ longest field goal in 2014.

138: The number of rushing yards for sophomore running back Elijah Hood. In 2014, Hood managed just 3.9 yards per carry, but upped that mark to 11.5 in Bank of America Stadium.

3: The number of interceptions thrown by Williams — two of which were caught by Moore in the end zone.

What’s next

The Tar Heels play Sep. 12 at 6 p.m. for UNC’s home opener against North Carolina A&T.

@CarlosACollazo