UNC men's soccer defeats Tulsa in final match before ACC play

In its final match before the start of ACC play, the No. 4 North Carolina men’s soccer team (3-0-1) walked away with a 2-1 victory over the Tulsa Golden Hurricane (1-2-1).

Zach Wright put the Tar Heels on the board in the 12th minute on a pass from Alan Winn just inside of the box. After failing to score in the second half of Friday's match against William & Mary, Wright's goal gave UNC a notable confidence boost.

Later in the first half, the Tar Heels expanded their lead to two on a sliding strike from 6-foot-5 forward Tucker Hume.

Hume’s size helped him reach the well-played ball from Nico Melo and push it past the outstretched hands of Golden Hurricane goalkeeper Jake McGuire.

But the two-goal lead wouldn’t last for long. The Golden Hurricane answered almost two minutes later with a strike from Zach Jackson, swinging the momentum of the game.

A slight rain started after the whistle blew to begin the second half at Fetzer Field, which created a sloppy playing surface and affected both teams' playing style.

Tulsa had 26 fouls in the contest, including three yellow cards, which led to a rowdy and aggressive second half.

Although no goals were scored in the final 45 minutes, both teams maintained the intensity. With just inside 10 minutes remaining, the Golden Hurricane had their best chance to tie the game, but they couldn't capitalize.

Notable

Goalkeeper Sam Euler got the call from Coach Carlos Somoano after the injury to James Pyle in Friday night’s matchup with William & Mary. Pyle suffered a pelvic injury after allowing the opening goal of the game and is in good health, according to team sources.

Quotable

“We expect ourselves to raise the standard coming off the bench, and that was my job for this game — to make an immediate impact.” — Tucker Hume on his performance in Sunday's match. 

Three numbers that matter

7: Offside calls against the Tar Heels. Tulsa’s defensive line stayed high throughout the night, creating issues for UNC’s forwards.

1: Tucker Hume scored his first goal in a UNC jersey on Sunday night. He sat out the entire 2014 season as a redshirt after transferring from Rollins College.

3: Yellow cards issued to Golden Hurricane players. Tulsa also accumulated 25 fouls throughout the aggressively played 90 minutes.

What's next?

The Tar Heels open ACC play at Virginia Tech on Friday at 7 p.m.

@davidrallenjr