UNC men's soccer player McCrary fights back from torn ACL

Red shirt senior Jordan McCrary practices for his team's busy weekend filled with two games against William & Mary on Friday, September 4 and Tulsa on Sunday, September 6.

McCrary wanted to play basketball, but his brother played soccer. In an effort to get her kids where they needed to go, McCrary’s mother put Jordan into soccer too.

He would go along with them to practice and soon enough, he was practicing with the team.

“I was four years old, when they called it Smidgets, and I was wearing shin guards on the outside of my socks,” said McCrary.

But when McCrary decided he wanted to trade in his shin guards for basketball socks, his mother didn’t agree.

“I eventually had to make the decision, either basketball or soccer, and I chose basketball because I hate cold weather,” McCrary said.

“But then my parents said, ‘Nah, you’ll play soccer.’”

Fast forward to 2015, and he is now ecstatic to return to the sport he was forced in to as a child, regardless of the weather.

A change of pace

It was the middle of captain’s practice before the start of the 2014 season when McCrary’s life changed. UNC was playing a small six-versus-six scrimmage.

“The ball popped out and I was going to go for a tackle, and it was a 50/50 chance,” he said.

He remembers the scene vividly.

“The second it happened I knew there was something wrong with my knee,” McCrary said.

“I hopped off and just hoped that I had sprained my MCL and would be only off for a few weeks.”

McCrary received an MRI a few days after the incident, and the news from the doctor was worse than expected. McCrary had completely torn his ACL, while also spraining his MCL in the process. He had no choice but to redshirt for his senior season.

For McCrary, the idea of missing any part of the season was a foreign concept. He had started in 66 of his first 68 games since becoming a Tar Heel. The last time he had been injured playing a sport was 12 years ago, when McCrary was in the fifth grade.

A broken leg had kept him from playing for two months. The torn ACL would keep McCrary away from soccer for about a calendar year.

The injury was a change of pace for McCrary. Instead of playing with his teammates and hanging out with them, he was restricted to the confines of his bed.

When he was able to get out of his bed, he was likely on the way to physical therapy. But while he wasn’t able to play, McCrary was still able to watch plenty of soccer, whether it be at practice or when he would watch the English Premier League on TV.

After his surgery on Sept. 2, 2014, McCrary spent most of his time with the UNC trainers. He was able to start playing eight months following his surgery.

‘A great support system’

As a redshirt senior, McCrary is one of the last remaining members of the 2011 national championship team at UNC.

Several players from that team and other players from McCrary’s past were quick to check in on him after the news of the injury broke.

“A lot of players who had been through this situation were able to coach me and tell me what to expect,” McCrary said. “It helped because there were times when I was anxious to just do something and they just kept me level headed.”

Getting calls from members of the 2011 squad brought up fond memories for McCrary, who was only a freshman when his team won it all. That season was instrumental to McCrary becoming the player that he is today.

“I’ve definitely matured a lot since then,” he said.

“It went from me playing my position and learning to me now knowing that and trying to help others get to where I am now.”

Calls from his teammates helped, but the one thing that kept McCrary together was the support from his family.

“My parents used to always come up for games and they came up still, even though I wasn’t playing...” McCrary said. “... They were a great support system.”

His biggest supporter was his mother, who to this day still supports her decision to force her son into soccer. McCrary can now be thankful for that decision.

“As his mother it was my job to keep his spirit up and maintain a positive attitude,” said Phyllis McCrary.

“I allowed time and space for Jordan to accept his situation, and was there for him throughout his surgery and the beginning of his recovery process. Jordan and I have a close relationship, as I do with all my sons, and he looks to me for validation that everything is okay.”

While McCrary sat on the bench all season, he saw the game with a new set of eyes. He couldn’t help on the field, so he took on a new role with the team.

“I was really happy that I got to see it from a different perspective, because when you sit on the sideline you really get to see how the formation works and how guys work in the system,” McCrary said.

“Then I get to learn how to be a leader off the field and how to motivate my players in another way.”

‘He can do a lot for us’

Even though McCrary didn’t have much choice when choosing soccer, the sport is now the center of his future plans. McCrary looks back at his injury as a roadblock, but one that won’t stop him from reaching his goals.

“I am very determined,” he said.

“When I came into school I wanted to get a degree from here and go play professional soccer. When I got hurt none of that changed. It means that I have an extra year to take classes.”

His teammates are just as excited as he is to have him back.

“He’s an influential player on and off the field,” said junior midfielder Omar Holness.

“We believe that he can do a lot for us. His pace and urge to be a leader on and off the field is a great thing.”

Head coach Carlos Somoano said he is eager to see McCrary back on the pitch and watch him return to full form.

“He built some good momentum in preseason,” said Somoano. “I don’t know if he’s hit his full stride yet but he’s going to be very important for us this year. He started on a national championship team so he knows how to win.”

The nightmare is over for McCrary. He can spend the rest of his days as a Tar Heel playing the sport he’s grown to love and helping lead the young UNC squad.

For McCrary, his injury didn’t break him, but rather molded him into the player he is today.

And he can be thankful for two things: that he is fully healthy, and that he isn’t playing basketball.

@Evan_Chronis