Alan Winn keeps UNC men's soccer team's streak alive

Despite a dominant first half by the No. 2 North Carolina men’s soccer team on Tuesday night, the Tar Heels entered the second half tied with the College of Charleston 1-1. 

Following a UNC score off of a penalty kick, the Cougars promptly responded to tie the score at 2 in the second period. 

Then, with less than 30 seconds remaining, sophomore forward Alan Winn took one final shot. The ball deflected off of a defender's knee for the game-winning goal and a 3-2 win. 

“I’m not going to lie, I felt relieved,” Winn said. “In the end I was really disappointed because we could obviously do a lot better.”

After facing a score of 2-2 going into the final minute of the game following a successful penalty kick by the Tar Heels and another goal by the Cougars during the second period, it appeared the game would be going into overtime. 

But scoring a goal in the final seconds isn't something new for Winn and the Tar Heels. They've now scored four times this season in the waning seconds of either half. 

“I was telling myself to just stay calm and to not get frustrated because that is when you start to lose the game,” Winn said.

Even though Charleston's defense intensified during the second half, Winn kept a level head and was able to help the Tar Heels execute their halftime adjustments.  

“The strategy was that we would have to work on our free kicks and throw-ins because obviously Charleston was very good at that,” Winn said.

Before the game, Winn was tied with sophomore Zach Wright for second on the team with four goals scored this season. With a goal just over 33 minutes into the first period and his game-winning goal in the second half, Winn is now tied with redshirt junior Tucker Hume for first on the team with six total goals. 

But Winn’s contribution to the team goes far beyond the two goals he scored for the Tar Heels.

“It was good for him to finish some plays off, because he has had some other games where he has done a lot of good things for us and not scored goals,” said Coach Carlos Somoano about Winn. “It was nice to see him get rewarded with the goals, but I don’t measure his value to the team on whether he scores or not.” 

With his increased role as a sophomore, Winn has helped lead the Tar Heels to an 11-0-1 record — the best start in program history. And with the level of competition intensifying as the regular season winds down, UNC can trust in one thing.  

Where there's a Winn, there's a way.

@jordymae012