In November 2008, the Phi Delta Theta fraternity and Pi Beta Phi sorority established the Eve Carson Memorial 5K for Education, which holds the record for the most attended campus race in history, with more than 2,300 participants in the past. Last year, the 5K raised $117,836.

Despite the rain, the eighth annual Eve Carson Memorial 5K was held on Oct. 3.

This year, Kenny Haisfield, co-founder of CEO4Teens and UNC graduate, partnered with the 5K in a new way by developing a special T-shirt print, called “Carolina Bloom,” through his independent company, Kenny Flowers.

Ten dollars from every purchase of a $65 shirt will be donated back to the Eve Carson Memorial 5K.

Haisfield, who joined Phi Delta Theta as a first-year, said the 5K is a fantastic way to give back not only to the community, but also to contribute on a national and global scale.

“It just gives me chills realizing that (Carson’s) legacy literally impacts on campus, throughout the nation and internationally as well,” he said.

One of the main goals of Carson’s 2007 campaign for student body president was to establish a completely student-funded junior merit scholarship.

UNC honored her wishes and established the Eve Carson Scholarship in 2008, which rewards students who show outstanding transformation in social justice, leadership and academics.

Current Phi Delta Theta philanthropy chairperson Parker Yount co-organized the event with Pi Beta Phi philanthropy chairperson Maddie Felton. Yount said although the final numbers aren’t in yet, it looks like they might have exceeded last year’s proceeds.

“We’re at about $120,000 that we raised this year,” he said.

Proceeds from the race go toward three organizations: the Eve Carson Memorial Scholarship, the Pi Beta Phi Literacy Fund and CEO4Teens.

Half the proceeds go toward the scholarship fund, and the remaining half is split between the Literacy Fund and CEO4Teens.

CEO4Teens is currently focused in Bali, where it has managed to fund 85 Indonesian teenagers in a one-year English and computer science program to further their education after high school.

Senior Will Whitehurst co-organized the race last year as a former Phi Delta Theta philanthropy chairperson. He said the 5K is taking on a new significance — one that is appreciated by Carson’s parents.

“Something that I really appreciate about them is that they really like that the race is starting to transition from more of a memorial to Eve — and remembering her life — to also a celebration of the scholarship and the foundation,” Whitehurst said.