UNC football seizes control of ACC Coastal Division

SPORTS FBC-UNC-PITT 7 RA
North Carolina's Donnie Miles (15) breaks up a pass intended for Pittsburgh's Zach Challingsworth (80) in the first quarter on Thursday, Oct. 29, 2015, at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. (Robert Willett/Raleigh News & Observer/TNS)

Behind a first-half offensive outburst, UNC was able to hold on for a 26-19 win and its seventh in a row.

The Panthers struck first, driving 59 yards on their opening drive before stalling in UNC territory and kicking a 44-yard field goal to take an early 3-0 lead.

Then, UNC seized its first lead of the game on a 71-yard touchdown pass by Marquise Williams to Ryan Switzer.

The score sparked the North Carolina offense, as the Tar Heels scored 17 unanswered points, capped by a 32-yard touchdown reception by Mack Hollins to hand UNC a 20-3 lead heading into halftime.

UNC lost its rhythm as quickly as it established it. The Tar Heels opened the second half with the ball and squandered their opportunity with a three-and-out.

The Panthers scored their first touchdown of the game with 4:10 left in the third quarter to pull within two scores.

UNC was forced to punt on two of its next three drives, but North Carolina’s defense held on to help deliver the win.

Quotable

“This was our opportunity to come in here and get peoples’ attention, and even if it doesn’t, we’re going to keep doing what we’ve been doing to get peoples’ attention.” — Williams on the magnitude of Thursday’s win.

Notable

Senior receiver Quinshad Davis hauled in his 182nd career reception midway through the second quarter. With the catch, he passed Hakeem Nicks to become UNC’s all-time leader in receptions.

Three numbers that matter

8: The North Carolina defense broke up eight passes during Thursday’s game.

4: Switzer’s touchdown reception in the first quarter marked his fourth touchdown in three career games against Pittsburgh.

4: Weiler, UNC’s kicker, was 4-for-4 on field goals on Thursday — marking his first career four-field-goal game.

What’s next?

The Tar Heels host the No. 22 Duke Blue Devils at noon or 12:30 p.m. on Nov. 7 at Kenan Stadium. The time will be announced at a later date.

@patjames24