Wiener dogs waddle at Weaver Street Market

Tiffany Mabe-Bernard holds the winners of the Carborro Wiener Dog Day costume contest--Batman and Robin.

The event, sponsored by Dachshund Rescue of North America, a nonprofit organization which rescues, rehabilitates and re-homes dachshunds and dachshund mixes, invited owners from surrounding communities to gather around a common love for these somewhat unconventional canines.

Close to 30 dachshunds attended, many being rescues, and shared their odd yet adorable shape with residents and other owners of the triangle area.

Deacon, a Dachshund-Beagle mix rescue of five or six years old was particularly talkative and social, making new friends with every minute that passed.

Kendal Motsinger, a sophomore at Meredith College from Winston Salem, described her loyal friend as happy and social.

“At our house he’s really territorial, but when he’s in public he doesn’t really care that much,” she said.

While there were various dachshund types, there was an even greater mix of people in attendance. Many participants owned dachshunds, while others were just there to enjoy the sights and sounds of these quirky creatures.

UNC senior Mary Cox is a fan of both the dachshunds and the Carrboro environment.

“I heard that there were a bunch of dogs in costumes, so I thought that would be fun!” she said. “What better way to spend a beautiful Sunday afternoon than at a dog show in Carrboro.”

For others, owning a wiener dog is a familial past time.

“It’s a family tradition,” said dachshund owner Katheryne Doughty. “My mother grew up with one, then I grew up with one, and we have three of our own.”

Doughty brought her most recent addition to her Dachshund family, who she adopted just a few months ago.

“We got him in mid-to late August,” she said. “We had gotten two others back in December.”

Sarah and Anna Henry of Apex, N.C., along with Godiva, their longhaired mini dachshund, took home the well coveted “best trained” award. Godiva tastefully pulled off a wealth of tricks, ranging from standing on two legs to playing dead.

“It didn’t take that long to train her,” she said. “Throughout the first year we had her I trained her, and it just stuck with her.”

Carrboro resident Alex Vasquez, owner of Charlie, a basset hound-german shepherd mix, said he was happy to be accompanied by some other breeds.

“I’m here for Charlie to learn to socialize with other dogs,” said Vasquez.

While Wiener Dog Day was mostly centered around the dachshund, the event’s open atmosphere could be compared to the general attitude of these short legged canines: friendly and accepting.

@benalbano