After falling in the Riviera/ITA Women’s All-American Championship doubles final on Oct. 11, North Carolina women’s tennis players Whitney Kay and Hayley Carter looked to improve.

And in the ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships in Flushing, N.Y., they were able to do just that. 

In a come-from-behind win against Kentucky’s Mami Adachi and Aldila Sutjiadi, the fourth-seeded duo of Kay and Carter emerged victorious in the doubles championship on Sunday at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. 

Carter, a junior, also competed in the singles competition, losing in the second round to the eventual champion, Francesca Di Lorenzo of Ohio State.

First-year Jessie Aney and senior Kate Vialle were also competing for the Tar Heels this weekend. They lost their first-round matchup in a third-set tiebreaker to Maria Alvarez and Kelsey Laurente of Oklahoma State. 

“Overall, I think it was a great tournament for our team, and (I’m) really excited for Hayley and Whitney,” Coach Brian Kalbas said. 

But the tandem’s wins en route to the championship weren’t easy.

The duo had to go all the way to third-set tiebreakers to win their first two matches. And after dropping their first set in the championship match, they were able to pull out a win in a third-set tiebreaker.

Carter and Kay had different views on having to play in high-pressure situations in order to bring home the title.

“I think 10-point tiebreakers are always difficult because it’s a little bit of luck (and) a little bit of skill,” Kay said.

Carter said she actually enjoyed playing in that type of environment.

“I think most people get nervous for 10-point tiebreakers, but I’m almost more relaxed,” she said. “I know I’m confident in our ability, and I know I have one of the most clutch players in the country as my doubles partner.”

In addition to winning so many close matches, Kay and Carter’s victory is more astounding given they have been paired together in doubles for less than a year.

This was only the pair’s third tournament together, but despite this, Kay and Carter have quickly gained the chemistry needed to win at the highest level.

“When they are playing together, they are a fun team to watch and coach,” Kalbas said.

Carter said she is glad they were finally able to translate all of their team success into a championship. 

She is most proud, though, that she was able to help her senior partner finally win a championship.

“For her being a senior, it’s definitely been on my mind all fall playing with her,” she said.

While it might not have been the easiest of victories, the duo put in the work to be able to come away with a victory.

“I think it’s a testament to the hard work that Whitney and I have put in,” Carter said. “And we’re happy to bring the title back to UNC.”

@CPhillips2020