The Siren feminist magazine’s fall issue highlights UNC activists

Courtesy of Alice Wilder

Courtesy of Alice Wilder

The fall edition of The Siren Magazine, UNC’s feminist publication, showcases the hard work of activists on campus and gives readers the information they need to get involved. The edition will be released at its launch party tonight.

The Siren aims to fill a hole in student publications on campus by voicing issues of human rights, gender, sexuality and identity, all through a feminist lens.

Senior Amanda Kubic, co-editor of The Siren, said the magazine tries to take an intersectional approach in its work by covering a broad range of important issues, from economic inequality to LGBT discrimination and the ways these topics interact with one another.

In its spring 2015 edition, The Siren identified what it considered to be the most pressing social justice issues pertaining to UNC’s campus. The fall edition highlights the people who are working to solve those very problems.

The student-run magazine has recently partnered with other social justice organizations, such as the Real Silent Sam Coalition, in an effort to broaden its reach and impact.

“I think it really just allows us more opportunity to have our voices heard, and to make sure we’re supporting the other activists on our campus who are doing this really great work, and we can make sure that they’re being heard as well,” Kubic said.

Justine Schnitzler, a junior transfer student and contributing writer to The Siren, said she heard about the magazine before she had even stepped foot on campus. For her, being a part of the fall edition has been a rewarding experience.

“There is definitely something exciting about seeing your name in print, but I think the process that gets us to the printed issue is much more rewarding,” she said. “Not only have I made a lot of awesome friends, I’ve gotten to hear a lot of other people’s perspectives, (and) I’ve gotten to work with individuals I might not have met otherwise. At the end of it, we’re pretty much a big family.”

Tirthna Badhiwala, a junior chemistry major, said she’s excited to attend the event and plans to donate feminine sanitary products for a local homeless shelter, as requested. Badhiwala said she thinks The Siren offers a key platform for underrepresented opinions.

“I think that in general, women and trans people don’t actually have as much of a voice on campus as other groups do,” Badhiwala said.

“It’s important to give them a space and give them a publication to talk about their experiences and actually write about, not just about their experiences, but possible actions we can take in our everyday lives to make sure they feel included on campus and outside of campus.”

@ecperry17