Inter-Faith Council exceeds year-end fundraising goal

The Inter-Faith Council rose to the challenge issued by The Stewards Fund and exceeded their end-of-year goal of $92,625.

Last October, The Stewards Fund issued a challenge grant to the IFC, as well as several other nonprofit organizations in Chapel Hill and Durham.

The grant required that the IFC raise at least $92,625 in new or increased donations in order for The Stewards Fund to make a matching donation.

Michael Reinke, IFC executive director, said according to the preliminary results the IFC raised at least $114,998 from new donors or increased donations from regular donors during the challenge period from Oct. 1 to Dec. 31.

Reinke said the money from the grant will go to a general operating fund. The fund, he said, is important because it helps the IFC provide services such as emergency assistance, meals and residential services.

“Without it, we would have to severely cut back,” Reinke said.

TROSA, a residential substance abuse recovery program in Durham, also received a challenge grant from The Stewards Fund.

Keith Artin, chief operating officer for TROSA, said the organization is still working toward their goal of $156,750 to be raised from new or increased donations by Feb. 23.

“We’re confident that we can make it with the holiday giving,” Artin said.

Artin said if they do reach their goal, the money will go to a general operating fund.

“We always have general operating needs that need philanthropic support,” Artin said.

Chapel Hill Town Council member Michael Parker said he was glad the IFC was able to meet its goal.

“That’s great that they were able to do it,” Parker said. “They provide a number of valuable services for the town and its residents.”

Reinke said the IFC is getting ready for the CROP Hunger Walk on April 10, an event sponsored by the Church World Service to raise funds to end hunger.

“We’d love to see different groups at UNC, whether they are student groups or Greek houses or even faculty or staff, to form CROP Walk teams,” Reinke said. 

@janna_childers