UNC baseball opens season with 2-1 series win over UCLA

But this time, No. 21 UNC buried the No. 9 Bruins with a five-run seventh inning, securing a 14-5 win in Los Angeles.

Junior outfielder Tyler Ramirez grabbed the momentum for the Tar Heels when he ripped a three-run home run in the first inning. The home run was UNC’s first of the season and gave North Carolina a 3-0 edge.

The Bruins responded with a two-run home run in the bottom of the second by sophomore infielder Sean Bouchard, chipping UNC’s lead to one.

The Tar Heels capitalized on an RBI ground out and a wild pitch in the third to score two more times and restore the three-run lead.

But plagued by errors, North Carolina forfeited the lead in the seventh.

While attempting to throw a runner out on a dropped third strike, first-year catcher Cody Roberts missed sophomore first baseman Brian Miller, allowing UCLA to score. In their next at-bat, the Bruins scored on a wild pitch. Two batters later, Luke Persico singled in a runner to tie the game at 5.

But instead of folding under pressure, UNC came alive.

Zach Gahagan knocked one out of the park to give North Carolina a 7-5 lead in the top of the seventh. Then junior left fielder Tyler Lynn picked up an RBI double and made it home himself off a throwing error by UCLA.

North Carolina piled on four more runs in the ninth to put the Bruins in a hole they couldn’t dig out of.

With the win, North Carolina walked away with a 2-1 series victory.

Quotable

“We started playing small ball, they started feeling the ball around and we just kind of capitalized on their errors.” — Ramirez on his team’s performance in the seventh inning.

Notable

Celebrating his 21st birthday, Ramirez led the Tar Heel offense with a home run, two runs scored and three RBIs. Sunday marks the third time in Ramirez’s career that he’s earned three RBIs in a game.

3 numbers that matter

5: Sophomore pitcher Jason Morgan set a career-high with five strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings. His previous career-high was two strikeouts on March 24 against Appalachian State.

5: North Carolina held UCLA to just five hits, but still allowed the Bruins to score five times.

8: The Tar Heels walked Bruin batters eight times on the day.

What’s next?

North Carolina will host No. 11 Oklahoma State at 3 p.m. on Friday in the Tar Heels’ first home game of the season.

@BlakeR_95