Rogers Road Sewer Project to be completed by 2018

The three jurisdictions have been working to install a new sewer service to serve the historic Rogers Road neighborhood following the 2013 closure of the landfill that once occupied the district.

In 1972, Orange County promised to install the sewer in exchange for allowing the county to house the landfill at the site for 10 years. But the landfill remained at Rogers Road for 41 years.

The interlocal agreement details the decision between the jurisdictions to jointly fund preliminary engineering and design services performed by Orange Water and Sewer Authority and community outreach in the neighborhood conducted by the Jackson Center.

The cost of the sewer project is $1,334,900 with Orange County paying 43 percent, the Town of Chapel Hill paying 43 percent and the Town of Carrboro paying 14 percent of this total.

Carrboro Mayor Lydia Lavelle said the division of cost was based on the estimated waste each jurisdiction generated in the landfill.

“One issue with this project is that it involves three jurisdictions,” Lavelle said. “It’s obviously more of a challenge, making sure that each jurisdiction is on the same page. However, we and the other jurisdictions greatly support the project and the sharing of the costs.”

Judy Johnson, principal planner for Chapel Hill, said the interlocal agreement is just one step in the process to complete the service and enable the division of costs.

“It’s good to keep the project moving forward,” Johnson said. “Staff from Chapel Hill, Orange County, Carrboro, OWASA and the Jackson Center have been meeting weekly on the project for months.”

Johnson said the town and the county hope to have easement agreements secured within the next couple of months. She said funding for the construction also needs to be secured.

Construction of the system is anticipated to begin in the spring of 2017.

Orange County Commissioner Renee Price said although the implementation of the Rogers Road sewer project has been a long process, she is glad the county is partnering with Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

Price said delays are largely a result of the magnitude of the project and that there has been no pushback from the community.

“Personally, I wish it were all done yesterday,” Price said. “The people in this neighborhood have suffered for way too long. But we’ve got all jurisdictions involved, and we’re moving along.”