Women's tennis continues conference win streak against Notre Dame

Keeping a winning streak alive is one of the most difficult feats to do in sports. But with its 5-2 win against Notre Dame on Saturday, the North Carolina women’s tennis team made it eight games without losing a game. 

The Tar Heels made the quick turnaround trip back to Chapel Hill after their victory against Syracuse on Thursday to face Notre Dame on Saturday, overcoming travel time and changing from indoor courts to outdoor courts. 

The Tar Heels quickly took the doubles point behind the victories of junior Hayley Carter and senior Whitney Kay 6-1 and senior Kate Vialle and first year Jessie Aney 6-2. North Carolina increased its lead to 2-0 early in the singles matches due to a retirement by Notre Dame junior Monica Robinson after Kay won the first set 6-3. 

But Notre Dame struck back with a victory on Court 4 by junior Mary Closs over Vialle 7-5, 6-0, making the match score 2-1.

Then UNC surged forward with Aney winning easily 6-1, 6-1; along with a clinching victory on court 1 by the top-ranked Carter 6-0, 6-4 despite having to come back to win in the second set. 

In the final two matches, the Tar Heels and the Fighting Irish swapped victories with Oullet-Pizer falling 6-3, 6-3 and sophomore Marika Akkerman winning 6-2, 7-5. 

Quotable

“This team is very challenge oriented and they don’t vary from them, they like to see how they can overcome them in different ways” said Coach Brian Kalbas. 

Notable

UNC has completed 7 of its 14 ACC matches, putting it at the halfway point. The Tar Heels are 7-0 in the conference, but the road does not get any easier with three top 25 matches remaining on the road against No. 10 Duke, No. 22 Georgia Tech, and No. 25 Clemson. 

Three numbers that matter

0: The number of matches lost at home so far this calendar year. 

0: The number of third sets played in matches against Notre Dame. 

2: The number of points the Tar Heels conceded, the most since a March 4th 4-3 win against Virginia. 

What’s next?

The Tar Heels make the short 10 mile journey to Durham for a match against Duke this Tuesday March 29th. 

@michaelfreije