Gallen, Bukauskas pitch gems in UNC baseball series win

The UNC baseball team took on Virginia Tech in a three game series over the weekend at Boshamer Stadium.

But in the first two games of this weekend’s series, two different UNC pitchers accomplished the feat.

Zac Gallen and J.B. Bukauskas combined for 26 strikeouts and allowed one total earned run in the first two games of the Tar Heels’ 2-1 series win against Virginia Tech.

“It’s pretty impressive by both of them ...” said first-year catcher Cody Roberts. “When they are cruising through like that it’s pretty simple to catch.”

Gallen began the series Friday night by tossing a complete-game shutout and striking out a career-high 13 batters in UNC’s 6-0 win.

He delivered by changing speeds and working ahead in the count. The junior threw 80 of his 118 pitches for strikes.

“It’s a great performance by him, just a lot of strikes ...” Coach Mike Fox said. “(It) doesn’t get much better than that.”

But Bukauskas wasn’t about to be one-upped.

He dominated, striking out 13 batters through 7 1/3 innings on Saturday, including a stretch during the fourth, fifth and sixth innings where all nine outs came via a strikeout.

“I’d say there is a little competition,” Bukauskas said with a slight grin after Saturday’s 4-1 win over the Hokies.

The dynamic duo has combined for nine wins and 134 strikeouts for UNC this season and have also become closer as they’ve embraced their roles at the top of North Carolina’s rotation.

“He’s become one of my better friends on the team this year,” Bukauskas said. “He’s been like a mentor honestly.”

Gallen and Bukauskas often hang out together during practice, and they discuss what it means to be the two-headed monster in the rotation.

“He was like, ‘Hey man, everything feeds off you,’” Gallen said. “So it’s just kind of my job on Friday night to set the tone and leave the door open for the next two guys who are gonna throw for us.”

Gallen, who notched his 200th career strikeout on Friday, did just that.

UNC is 0-2 in series where Gallen hasn’t won the series opener, and the Tar Heels are 6-0 in series when he’s been named the winning pitcher or received a no decision.

For that reason, Gallen’s complete-game performance on Friday was welcomed by the Tar Heel coaching staff.

“It’s obviously what we needed, our bullpen was pretty exhausted,” Fox said.

Luckily for UNC, its bullpen rested until the eighth inning of Bukauskas’ start on Saturday.

“The game starts on the mound, so we’ve had two good ones,” said Fox following Saturday’s victory.

The Tar Heels’ one-two punch has continued to improve this season, and both pitchers know they will have to lead the way for UNC to reach the next level.

@WBOD3