UNC men's golf ends season with 13th place finish at NCAA Tucson Regional

The No. 25 North Carolina men’s golf team fell flat at the NCAA men’s golf Tucson Regional from May 16-18. The Tar Heels finished 13 out of a 14-team field at The Gallery at Dove Mountain Golf Club, shooting a three day total of 917, which was 53-over-par.

What Happened?

The team put itself in an early hole, after shooting a 22-over-par 310 in the opening round on Monday. Junior Carter Jenkins was the team leader shooting a 74. Fellow junior Henry Do began the tournament with a 75, and sophomore William Register shot an opening-round 77. Sophomore Ben Griffin and first-year Joshua Martin began with 83s.

“They got off to a bad start in the first round. We told them this is about advancing and being in the top five,” said Coach Andrew Sapp. “Might as well go for broke the last two rounds because it doesn’t matter if your 6 or 14, those people are ending their season.”

Day two went much like day one did for the Tar Heels. At the end of the round they were still in 13th place and looking at a 42-shot gap between themselves and the California Bears who were sitting in fifth place. This was an important number because only the top five teams and the end of day three would advance to the NCAA Championship in Eugene, Ore., later this month.

“Well obviously we didn’t play quite as well as we hoped,” Carter said. “This course is very forgiving, but if you do miss the fairways it’s very penalizing, and unfortunately I think we just had a few to many golf balls go into the desert.”

The Tar Heels shot their best round of golf on Wednesday with a 7-over-par 295, but it was just too little too late. Jenkins again claimed the team lead shooting a two-under-par 70 for the round. All five of the starters shot under 80 for the round for the first time in the regional.

Who Stood Out?

Despite his second round score of 81, Carter Jenkins was the best player on the course for the Tar Heels. 

He led the team on the other two days of the tournament with a first round 74 and a final round score of 70, making him the only player to break par for UNC in any of the three rounds. He said the biggest reason for him being able to shoot an under-par round was simply keeping the ball in play.

“I just managed to keep the big numbers off the card,” he said. “Just really kept the ball in front of me, and got a few puts to drop.”

The Tar Heels sealed their fate on day one of the regional. Once they shot an opening round 310, and placed themselves 36 shots behind the leader Stanford, there wasn’t much chance of a comeback. 

Even when the team played better on the final day, they were trailing the No. 1 ranked team in Stanford, as well as No. 12 Wake Forest and No. 13 California. Playing against such good competition made it nearly impossible for a comeback.

Losing in such definitive fashion is a tough way to end any season. It’s even more difficult to handle for a coach and players who admitted they struggled for most of the spring season, and know that they did not perform up to the standards that have been set from within for the program. 

Everyone will have several months to think about the way this season ending before starting again. All but one of the players on this year’s team will return next season, and this loss could be a source of motivation going forward.

“I just hope the bitter taste lasts long enough for them to work their tails off this summer in amateur golf so they can come back better, stronger from this,” said Sapp. “Sometimes it takes falling on your face to get yourself back up to climb the mountain.”

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels will begin their fall season in September.

@CPhillips2020