Season preview: UNC women's golf looks to defy expectations once again

The UNC women's golf team participated in the Ruth's Chris Tar Heel Invitational at Finley Golf Course all weekend long. Kelly Whaley.

How do they play?

For North Carolina, last season was all about exceeding expectations.

After being seeded 12th in the NCAA Stanford Regional, the Tar Heels outplayed their ranking to finish fourth and qualify for the NCAA Championships for the first time since 2012. And as the No. 23 seed in the NCAA Championships, UNC defied expectations and finished 14th.

This season, North Carolina returns four of five starters, who all competed in the NCAA Championships.

Who stands out?

Leslie Cloots: The senior from Antwerp, Belgium, is the team’s undisputed leader, pacing the team in stroke average for two straight seasons.

She also accomplished something no other golfer in UNC history had ever done, shooting three rounds of four-under par in 2015-16.

Lexi Harkins: Harkins’ play has steadily improved every year she has been at Chapel Hill. After a middling first-year campaign, the junior upped her game in 2015-16 and finished third on the team in stroke average.

Her best moment came in the third round of the NCAA Championship, when she shot a 68— tied for the best round ever by a UNC golfer in the event.

Kelly Whaley: Last season, the sophomore finished second on the team in stroke average — the lowest for a first-year since former All-ACC golfer Elizabeth Mallett in 2012-13.

Her potential was never more evident than when she tied for 10th at the ACC Championships. If Whaley can build on this performance, she could become a breakout player for UNC.

When is their biggest event?

At the ACC Championship in Greensboro (April 21-23), the Tar Heels will match up against a number of perennial powerhouses. If UNC plays well enough to qualify, the NCAA Regional (May 8-10) will give the team an opportunity to earn its place in the NCAA Championships (May 19-24).

What is their biggest weakness?

After losing Mallett, the Tar Heels must now identify a new fifth starter. The competition should be a tough one, as Coach Jan Mann has six players to choose from.

The decision will be crucial in determining the depth of this team. And depth will be a huge factor in determining the team’s overall success.

At times during the 2015-16 season, the fourth and fifth golfers struggled to keep pace with the other starters, making it difficult for UNC to contend.

North Carolina will need more consistency across the board if it wants to repeat last year’s unexpected success.

Why could they win it all?

This is a team full of both confidence and experience. If the Tar Heels play like they did last season, they can compete with any team in the nation.

@The_Belshe