No. 3 UNC men's soccer avoids upset in 3-2 win over VCU

UNC forward Tucker Hume (36) dribbles past VCU defender RJ Roberts (15) on Monday night. Hume scored the game-winning shot in the final 10 minutes to lift the Tar Heels to a 3-2 victory.

The No. 3 North Carolina men’s soccer team entered Monday night’s game against the Rams of VCU undefeated after easily handling their first two opponents in a pair of 3-0 victories.

Though the Rams (0-3) proved to be more of a challenge, the Tar Heels (3-0) overcome sloppy play to grind out a 3-2 comeback victory and preserve their undefeated season.

Like the previous two games, the Tar Heels got off to a quick start. UNC’s forwards raced up and down the field in the opening minutes, pressuring VCU’s backline and midfield.

This pressure paid off. Redshirt senior Walker Hume opened scoring in the fifth minute when he knocked in the rebound from junior Zach Wright's shot. Wright's shot bounced off the top of the crossbar following a corner.

At this point, it appeared as if the Tar Heels were headed for another easy victory.

This wasn’t to be, however, as the Rams quickly recovered their composure and began to take control of the game.

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper James Pyle gave the Rams an opportunity to equalize as he fouled forward Luc Fatton in the box while diving to make a save in the 19th minute. Captain Dakota Barnathan calmly stepped up for VCU, burying the penalty to even the score at 1.

Seemingly invigorated by this goal, the Rams added another roughly a minute later when Lyndsey Moreland volleyed the ball into the goal off a set piece.

Trailing for the first time in a game this season, the Tar Heels looked to their veterans for inspiration.

Redshirt senior Tucker Hume responded, receiving the ball from Wright and curving it past VCU’s keeper from a few yards out in the 31st minute.

After a second half of uninspired play in which UNC struggled to gain momentum or create chances, Tucker Hume played savior and scored the second goal of his brace to complete the comeback for the Tar Heels.

The Hume brothers scored all three goals and provided stability when it was most needed. Walker was a rock defensively and Tucker was the spark up front that won the game for North Carolina. On a night when UNC’s highly touted freshman class failed to deliver, these two redshirt seniors came through.

After almost 50 minutes without a goal and the score still locked at 2, it appeared as if the game was destined for overtime.

But Tucker Hume dismissed the notion of an extra period. With less than 10 minutes to play, he capitalized on a miscue by VCU defender Juan Fajar Ortiz and slotted the ball past the keeper to give UNC a 3-2 lead. Though the Rams managed to create a couple of good chances in the game’s final nine minutes, North Carolina’s defense stood strong to preserve the victory.

After Friday’s matchup against North Carolina State was postponed due to weather, this game served as North Carolina’s final chance to make sure its performance was up to par before beginning conference play against Clemson. It was also the first time the team had played in almost a week.

The Tar Heels were able to shake off some rust and identify a few problem areas in their game before their big matchup with No. 2 Clemson.

The Tar Heels will travel to South Carolina to open conference play against Clemson on Friday, September 9.

@The_Belshe