No. 3 UNC men's soccer shuts out No. 23 Virginia Tech 2-0 to claim Coastal Division Championship

The No. 3 North Carolina men’s soccer team defeated No. 23 Virginia Tech 2-0 on Saturday to clinch the ACC Coastal Division Championship.

Virginia Tech (9-4-3, 2-4-1 ACC) started the game the more dominant than UNC (11-2-2, 5-1-1) did. The Hokies’ midfield controlled the game early, finding space along North Carolina’s flanks and firing crosses into the box at will.

Whether it was due to senior night nerves or the strength of the opponent, UNC struggled to maintain possession and string together passes.

The Tar Heels couldn’t get a shot off until the 17th minute, when, against the run of play, they earned a penalty. Redshirt senior defender Walker Hume was brought down in the box after receiving the ball off a set piece from first-year midfielder Cam Lindley.

Junior midfielder David October took the penalty for North Carolina. He calmly stepped up to the spot and slotted the ball past the outstretched arms of Virginia Tech’s keeper into the left corner of the net to give UNC a 1-0 lead.

But the Tar Heels failed to capitalize on this opportunity to grab control of the game, and the Hokies continued to control the pace for the rest of the first half.

The second half was a different story.

North Carolina’s midfield began holding onto the ball for longer stretches of time and exploiting holes in Virginia Tech’s back line. UNC was much more assertive in the half, outshooting the Hokies 9-5.

Redshirt senior Tucker Hume clinched both the game and the ACC Coastal Division title when he scored in the 86th minute to make it 2-0.

The Hume brothers set the tone for the Tar Heels on senior night. Tucker scored one goal while Walker’s positioning and movement in the box earned the penalty that would lead to the winning goal.

Walker was also a rock for North Carolina’s back line, helping the defensive unit earn a league-leading 10th shutout.

Though UNC was up 1-0, Virginia Tech’s play in the first half made it look like it was still anyone’s game headed into halftime.

But the Tar Heels came out of the break looking energized and determined. They dominated the second half both offensively and defensively to ensure that the Hokies could not rally.

The victory earned UNC its second consecutive ACC Coastal Division Championship. This victory assures the Tar Heels home field advantage in the ACC Men's Soccer Championship up until the championship game.

The Tar Heels will travel to South Bend, Indiana to take on Notre Dame on Friday at 7 p.m.

@The_Belshe