No. 8 UNC men's soccer ties College of Charleston 0-0 in final non-conference matchup of regular season

The No. 8 North Carolina men's soccer team tied the College of Charleston 0-0 in an overtime battle on Tuesday night.

During the first half, UNC (10-2-2, 4-1-1 ACC) and College of Charleston (3-6-3) held the score at 0-0 with high intensity play. The Tar Heels had two shots while the Cougars had three shots in roughly even possession. During the 23rd minute, a yellow card was given to College of Charleston’s Cesar Murillo for an unruly tackle on Nils Bruening — 20 seconds after Breuning entered the game.

During the second half, UNC controlled possession and had many shots on goal. College of Charleston received its second yellow of the game on Cornell Holland during the 74th minute.  

In the last four minutes, North Carolina took three corner kicks and two shots, but the Tar Heels failed to capitalize on these opportunities.With less than a minute in regulation, Winn took a shot, only to be blocked by the Cougars’ goalie. The teams entered overtime with the score knotted at 0.

UNC dominated possession during overtime, but the Tar Heels only managed two shots and could not find the back of the net. The final score was 0-0.

Junior forward Zach Wright came close to breaking the scoring drought, taking the ball from UNC's defensive half to the College of Charleston’s goal line to take a shot. He picked up where he left off against Duke. With the same momentum, Wright recreated a play that he made during the Tar Heel’s last game, where he took on several defenders by himself to score the winning point. But Wright's efforts did not prevail this time.

The game wasn’t decided until the final moments of the fourth period. The game was neck-and-neck during regulation, but the Tar Heels controlled possession for the majority of overtime. The final chance to score came in the 108th minute with a corner kick by Cam Lindley, but the Tar Heels could not convert this chance into a score.

This game marked the final non-conference match for North Carolina in the regular season. UNC was coming off winning both matches last weekend, while the Cougars lost their most recent game to Delaware.

Where do they play next?

North Carolina take on Virginia Tech on Saturday at 7 p.m. at Fetzer Field.

@mwc13_3