President Barack Obama returns to UNC for Hillary Clinton

President Barack Obama spoke on Hooker Fields on Wednesday to campaign for Democratic Presidential Nominee Hillary Clinton along with other democrats up for election in North Carolina.

While Taylor could have been speaking about the 80 degree November day, he was actually referring to the water bottles he was throwing into the crowd of 16,200 people who had showed up to see President Barack Obama speak at Hooker Fields.

“It is good to be back in Chapel Hill — I love me some North Carolina,” Obama said.

Obama was preceded by Taylor and N.C. politicians Democratic gubernatorial candidate Attorney General Roy Cooper, Democratic senatorial candidate Deborah Ross and Rep. David Price, D.-N.C. All four spoke of the importance of the election and voting, as well as the day’s heat.

“It’s a beautiful summer day in November,” Obama said.

Obama focused on the progress his administration has made over the past eight years and how electing former Secretary Hillary Clinton was necessary to both protect and further that progress.

“I’m not on the ballot, but I tell you: fairness is on the ballot,” he said. “Decency is on the ballot. Justice is on the ballot. Progress is on the ballot. Our democracy is on the ballot, right now.”

Cooper and Ross focused instead on what they called the damage that Republican officials had caused the state.

Cooper said Gov. Pat McCrory had focused on partisan ideologies over the state’s best interest.

“For decades you could travel across the country and get questions about our universities, our beaches, the Triangle and mountains, but now the question people ask is, ‘What in the world is going on in North Carolina?’” he said.

Ross criticized her opponent, Sen. Burr, for his support of House Bill 2.

“He even said in our debate he doesn’t think it hurts the economy — where has the man been?” she asked.

Ross also went after Burr for comments he made at a Mooresville rally, where he promised to hold up Supreme Court nominees should Clinton become president.

“If you have a job and you plan not to do it in two months, you would be fired, right?” Ross asked. “Send that message to Burr.”

Obama criticized Burr over the judicial hold as well.

“What, do only Republican presidents get to appoint judges?” he asked. “Is that in the Constitution? I taught constitutional law and I’ve never heard of that.”

Obama moved on to criticize Republican Congress members as a whole for their decision to block judicial nominees under a potential Clinton White House. He said it was up to voters to oppose divisive and mean-spirited politics.

“That’s not how it has to be,” he said. “That’s not how it’s always been. But it’s going to depend on you.”

Obama also made a positive case for Clinton, emphasizing her career in public service, which he said proved her dedication to serving people at all times.

All candidates at the event emphasized the importance of voting. Ross said the polls were razor-thin, which meant every vote could make a difference, and Price said in an interview that the state’s status is on the ballot.

“All the things that make us a progressive Southern state are on the line with the election between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton and elections across the state,” he said.

Sarabeth Bachar, a first-year UNC student, said she got in line at 4 a.m.

“It was just a really good reminder of what’s really important about politics and voting,” she said. “When so many people right now are really cynical about it and saying this doesn’t matter, this reminds you it really is (important).”

During his speech, Price said the race was also about policies.

“It’s time to put HB2 and voter suppression behind us,” he said.

Obama condemned state Republicans for suppressing the votes of Democrats and specifically black North Carolinians through the Voter I.D. law.

“Those who wanted to suppress the vote, they’re gonna pay,” he said. “The law has been struck down — your rights have been restored.”

UNC first-year Felix Evans misses voting in the election by 10 days because of her age.

“He’s just a huge role model for me and I think that for a lot of people in my generation because of his message of, like, hope as opposed to just choosing to be, like, cynical,” she said through tears.

Obama said if Clinton wins North Carolina she would win the presidency.

“That means when I said the fate of the republic depends on you, I wasn’t joking,” he said. “But that shouldn’t make you fearful, that should make you excited. It’s not often when you can move the arc of history. Don’t let that chance slip away.”

And while the President may be eight years older and his hair much grayer, his message from the 2008 campaign remains.

“Choose hope,” he said.

University Editor Acy Jackson contributed reporting.