With time winding down on the game clock in regulation and Huntington Prep down by three, Keldon Johnson calmly dribbled the ball down court, and shot a contested three over a North Carolina defender. The ball went through the net and Huntington Prep went on to win the game 103-98 in overtime, thanks to a spectacular performance from Johnson, who did not miss a free throw in the extra period.

Johnson’s three to tie the game came seconds after guard Kane Ma hit an equally impressive three-point shot to put the Tar Heels up by three.

“A lot of the plays are ran for us coming off a screen for a shot at the end,” Ma said. “I mean, it was a good pass by Rob."

The shot was one of many great plays made by Ma on the night, who on one particular play made a defender look like he was on skates before calmly sinking a three. He capped off a big first half for the Tar Heels, who controlled a double-digit lead for most of the 20 minutes.

However, Huntington Prep was able to claw back in the game, thanks to the skill of their small forward, Johnson. Johnson, the No. 18 high school recruit in the nation for 2018, already has an NBA body and still has room to grow for his frame. With prep down late in the game, the ball went through Johnson's hand, and each time, he converted.

Andrew Gillespie, a sophomore starting shooting guard who hails from Chapel Hill, was impressed by Johnson’s play.

“I think he’s a great player,” Gillespie said. “He’s taking the ball to the rack very strong. Obviously hit the three to go into overtime and eventually win the game. Definitely clutch and he’s a great player. I wish him the best."

Johnson remains uncommitted, but the Tar Heels are not on his list of teams, a list that includes ACC rivals North Carolina State, Wake Forest and Virginia.

It was a tough game for the Tar Heels and only their second loss all season, but Coach Hubert Davis was not shaken by the loss.

“I am so proud of them,” Davis said. “The way that they competed, the way that they played and I told them they represented the University of North Carolina in a wonderful and beautiful way."

Davis was resolute in praising his players and insisting the attention be focused on them for their hard work. It was something the late Dean Smith, his former coach and was the architect of the JV men's basketball program, would have been proud of. 

Of those players, Kane Ma has a strong chance of making the varsity squad next year in his senior season. With at least five varsity players graduating after this season, there will be holes to fill on the roster, including that of reserve point guard. Ma could fill the void and help the starters in practice, with his intelligent play and good hustle.

The Tar Heels look to bounce back on Wednesday night, when they face Massanutten at the Smith Center.

“We just gotta come out and keep our heads up,” Gillespie said. “We just have to be better."

@christrenkle2