The North Carolina men’s golf team continued to struggle with consistency this weekend at the Seahawk Intercollegiate. The team finished day one in second place, but after a strong round two from the rest of the field, they ended the tournament in fourth place.

Junior William Register led off the first round for the Tar Heels. The junior struggled mightily and finished nine-over par for the opening round. Henry Do also struggled, shooting 11-over-par for the Tar Heels. Austin Hitt had a solid round, finishing only three-above-par, but it was Ben Griffin and Jose Montano that kept the Tar Heels in second place. The two juniors both shot an even-par-72 to lead the day for UNC.

Register and Do were both better in round two. Register finished three-above-par for the day. Do improved six strokes from his first round and finished five-above-par. Montano struggled in his second round and finished four-above-par. Hitt improved one stroke on the day and sat at two-above-par for the tournament. Griffin again led the Tar Heels, finishing two-below-par for his third round of the tournament.

Griffin led the Tar Heels on both days. He finished at even-par for day one and then shot two strokes better in the final round of the weekend, finishing two-below-par. Montano had a strong day one, also finishing at even-par, but failed to maintain his consistency on day two. 

The event was decided early on. Kent State led both days of the tournament and finished seven-under-par as a team. The next closest team shot 40-above-par. UNC was a distant 43-above-par.

UNC struggled at the Puerto Rico Classic in February, finishing 11th out of 15 teams. Since then, they have fared much better. The Tar Heels earned their second top-four finish in a row this week, but they struggled on the second day of the tournament. Head coach Andrew Sapp is sure to want to see more consistency from his team in the next two meets with the ACC Conference Championship only a month away.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels have two weeks off before competing in the Aggie Invitational on Saturday, April 1 and Sunday, April 2.

@christrenkle2