UNC softball wins series with 8-7 victory over Virginia

The North Carolina softball team rallied twice from deficits in a back-and-forth 8-7 victory over Virginia (12-24, 3-12 ACC) on Sunday afternoon. With the rubber-match win, UNC (29-9, 9-3 ACC) secured the series victory as well.

Virginia’s first two batters both reached base safely as Katie Park doubled and Iyana Hughes drew a walk from UNC starting pitcher Kendra Lynch. Two batters later, Danni Ingraham cranked a two-strike pitch over the Anderson Stadium center field wall for a three-run home run

UNC answered back quickly in the bottom of the first. Leadoff hitter Leah Murray singled and stole second before being driven home by a double off the top of the wall by Berlynne Delamora. Pinch runner Brittany West came around to score two batters later thanks to an RBI infield single from Katie Bailiff that narrowed Virginia’s lead to just one.

The Tar Heels leveled the score at three an inning later thanks to Katelyn Shifflett, who led off with a single and later came around to score on a wild pitch.

In the third, UNC jumped out to a 5-3 lead when Berlynne Delamora scored on a Micaela Abbatine walk and Lynch scored thanks to an RBI ground out from Brittany Pickett.

The Cavaliers wasted no time responding in the top of the fourth, sending ten batters to the plate and scoring four runs. Virginia got contributions up and down the lineup, but none was more important than Olivia Gott’s game-tying two-run double to right field. By the time UNC reliever Kellyn Daly struck out Ingraham, the damage was done and Virginia led 7-5.

UNC didn’t stay down for long, evening the score at seven thanks to RBI singles from Taylor Wike and Lynch.

After Brittany Pickett – UNC’s third pitcher of the day – held Virginia scoreless in the fifth, the Tar Heels loaded the bases. With two outs, Kendra Lynch found a hole in the right side of the Cavaliers’ infield and reached with an RBI infield single – giving UNC an 8-7 lead with two innings to play.

Given a lead, Pickett went to work – holding Virginia scoreless in the sixth and seventh innings to close out the win.

Kendra Lynch led the Tar Heels at the plate, hitting 3-for-4 and driving home two runs in the process.

Leadoff hitter Leah Murray reached base three times thanks to two hits and a walk. Once on the basepaths, she was a headache for Virginia’s defense, stealing two bases and scoring twice.

Pickett shored up the Tar Heel pitching, handling the final three innings with relative ease. Pickett threw three shutout innings, allowing just two hits and getting the win in the process. With the win, Pickett’s record improved to 14-1 for the season.

At least three times either team appeared in control on the scoreboard, but this game was so back and forth that it wasn’t truly decided until Katelyn Shifflett delivered the ball into first baseman Campbell Hutcherson’s glove for the final out.

After a disappointing loss on Friday, the Tar Heels bounced back and secured a much-needed series win over one of the weakest teams in the ACC.

North Carolina received contributions throughout the lineup, which certainly is encouraging for head coach Donna Papa with only one month of play left in the season.

Where do they play next?

UNC hosts Longwood on Tuesday at Anderson Stadium with first pitch coming at 4 p.m.