Four-star quarterback Tyler Shough commits to North Carolina

The North Carolina football team secured its sixth 2018 commit — and its first at the most important position in the game — in Tyler Shough.

The four-star quarterback announced his commitment to UNC on Thursday. He chose the Tar Heels over 22 other schools, including Alabama, Florida State and Michigan.

"I want to be a part of something great moving forward and truly develop myself, my teammates and the community in Chapel Hill," he said on Twitter.

Shough stands at 6-foot-4 and weighs 187 pounds. During his junior season at Hamilton High in Chandler, Arizona, he threw for 2,079 yards and 27 touchdowns against nine interceptions in 12 games. He also completed 61 percent of his passes (142 completions on 230 attempts).

North Carolina now has four four-star commits within its 2018 class, but Shough is its first from outside the state. Shough joins outside linebacker Payton Wilson, athlete Dyami Brown and offensive tackle Avery Jones.

Among pro-style quarterbacks, Shough is the No. 2 quarterback in Arizona and the No. 10 quarterback in the nation. Among all players, he is ranked No. 252. He was also selected to compete in the Elite 11 quarterback competition, which boasts NFL alumni like Andrew Luck, Matthew Stafford and Jameis Winston.

It's worth noting Shough's commitment comes less than two months after Mitchell Trubisky was selected No. 2 overall in the NFL Draft. The success of Trubisky and Marquise Williams in the past two seasons may be one of the reasons quarterback recruits like Shough are giving UNC a chance.

@chapelfowler

Thanks for reading.

Read more in FootballSports