Carolina Jams will host first concert at Local 506

Carolina Jams
Carolina Jams is hosting their fall concert at Local 506 on Thursday. Photo courtesy of Zac Gonzales.

It’s no secret that UNC is home to a lot of musically talented students.  Chances are, if you’ve taken a stroll through the Pit, you’ve probably seen a cappella groups advertising one of their upcoming concerts. And if you ventured into Fraternity Court on game day, there’s likely been a band or two performing.

If you wanted to join a club last year that catered toward musicians who just want to jam out and play music, though, you were out of luck. That is, until Carolina Jams formed in March and took the stage as one of UNC’s newest clubs on campus this semester.  

On Thursday, Nov. 30, Carolina Jams is hosting their end-of-semester concert. Hosted at Local 506 on West Franklin Street, UNC bands Web Threats, From the Breakdown and State of Uncertainty will be performing. 

Zac Gonzalez, president and founder of the club, said this is Carolina Jams' first formal concert.

Proceeds from the concert will go to Community Music School of Raleigh, which provides underprivileged children with one-on-one music lessons and learning. 

J.P. Rickabaugh, social media chair for Carolina Jams, thinks everyone can enjoy the concert, no matter their musical preference. 

“So much UNC spirit and student effort has come together to do this,” he said.

Gonzalez said the three bands performing were chosen for a reason. 

“All of the groups kind of formed out of Carolina Jams,” Gonzalez said. “They’re made up of all UNC students.”

Quincy Godwin, a member of Web Threats, is excited to perform and help raise money for a good cause. His band, like the club itself, officially started this school year, but developed last year. Godwin said that he and his bandmates’ musical tastes brought them together.

Godwin also said that Web Threats doesn’t adhere to a single genre. If he had to label it, it would be somewhere between "jazz, funk and indie rock.”

Like all performers, Godwin and his band always experience some form of nervousness before a performance, even if it is for a fun charity event. 

“If you’re not nervous, you’re not ready," Godwin said. "And I think we’re very ready for the show.”

@jvanglish