Paving on Franklin Street could affect your parking and commute

Franklin Street will be closed between Pickard Lane and S. Columbia Street between 9 p.m. July 24 and 6 a.m. July 25.

The paving of East Franklin Street from Columbia Street to Pickard Lane will take place Tuesday and Wednesday night from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. 

Due to the paving project, there will be no on-street parking after 9 p.m. each night. Cones and no-parking signs are set to close off these areas, and all vehicles parked after 9 p.m. may be towed. 

"You’ll notice some of those spaces have already been closed off by the Town of Chapel Hill," said Alex Rike, programs manager for the town. "I would refer anyone looking for additional parking options to go to Parkonthehill.com and specifically the Wallace Deck."

If your car is towed, call the Chapel Hill Police Department during business hours at 919-968-2760 or  Orange County Communications’ non-emergency number at 919-732-5063 after hours.

The NS and J bus routes are still set to operate but may experience delays with lane closures.