UNC falls to Miami, 3-1, in road match on Friday night

Volleyball v NC State
Senior outside hitter Madison Laufenberg (14) spikes the ball towards her NC State opponents on Wednesday, Sept. 26 in Carmichael Arena.

The North Carolina volleyball team was unable to finish in important situations in a 3-1 loss to Miami on Friday night, dropping its record to 5-9 and 1-4 in the ACC.

On Friday, UNC (5-9, 1-4 ACC) traveled to Coral Gables, Fla. to play its fifth conference game of the year. After a slow start to the season, the Tar Heels were looking for an important win on the road, but were only able to win one set against Miami (8-4, 4-1 ACC).

The Tar Heels were able to keep every set close, but “we couldn’t finish,” head coach Joe Sagula said, “we’ve got to be doing it the entire match.”

The two teams were neck and neck from the beginning, and by the end of the first set North Carolina was down, 22-20. The team was unable to close as Bridget Wallenberger had three straight kills for Miami to win the set at 25-20

The second set was closer than the first, with UNC able to again get within striking distance at 23-22. However, the Hurricanes finished the set with an error from the Tar Heels and a kill.

North Carolina was able to swing the momentum in the third set by gaining a lead early and keeping it. The team scored seven points in a row in the middle of the set, pushing the score to 17-10. The Tar Heels ended up winning by the largest point differential of the night, at 25-15, as they looked to hopefully turn the match around.

The Hurricanes came out strong in the fourth set, sealing the match with a convincing, 25-18, win.

“We played a great third set,” Sagula said, “but that wasn’t enough, not when you’re on the road.”

Senior Madison Laufenberg had a career high 16 kills in the loss.

She seemed to be involved all over the court, and Sagula was very impressed with her play stating, “I can’t say enough about how good Madison Laufenberg played tonight.”

First-years Destiny Cox and Ava Bell also contributed solid performances in the losing effort.

Although the Tar Heels were able to rally in the third set, they were unable to pull out the fourth and ended up losing, 3-1. Had North Carolina won one of the first two sets, both of which were close, it may have been able to force a fifth set.

With this defeat at the hands of Miami, the Tar Heels are pushed to 1-4 in the ACC with two straight conference losses. They are currently seated tied for 11th in the conference with 13 matches left to play in the regular season.

North Carolina plays at Florida State on Sunday at 1 p.m. as it looks to end its losing steak.

@KeeganWill