Medium

Five movies to ponder over and a trick to add more flicks to Netflix

Midterms are upon us, and maybe you’ve ran out of ways to desperately procrastinate but still want a reason to remain in bed while exercising your brain. Don’t worry, fellow cinephiles. Netflix can comfort you with these meaningful and thought-provoking moving pictures.

1. After the Dark

You’re probably not in class with your snuggie and laptop streaming Netflix, but you’ll wish you were in this philosophy class for international students in Indonesia. Or would you? Twenty college students are challenged with exercises on how they would handle an impending apocalypse and the debates only deepen.

2. The Last Days (Los ultimos días)

Philosophy isn’t your thing? Perhaps you’re a Spanish student, or just really want another apocalyptic movie. In short: everyone on earth develops an irrational fear of going outside, but one Spaniard must find his girlfriend. Fair warning, it’s in Spanish but there are subtitles. Yes, they’re afraid of the outdoors. Aren’t you staying inside tonight?

3. The One I love

This is classified as a romantic comedy, but I don’t know if that’s exactly accurate (like that midterm grade I just got back). The One I Love can be too eerie to fall under romcom. I don’t want to spoil it, but remember what their marriage counselor says when you watch it: “I’ve sent a lot of couples there, and they’ve all come back… renewed.”

Pro-tip: How to access more of Netflix

Netflix is available to you based on your country and can exclude certain movies. The three movies above are accessible to the U.S. To watch movies in other countries’ collections, use Google Chrome and download the Hola extension. The two listed below are streaming on British Netflix. God, save the Queen.

4. Jeff, Who Lives at Home

Jason Segel and Ed Helms (praise How I Met Your Mother and The Office!) team up to bring you this warm-hearted finding-your-way picture. Jeff (Segel) sets out to discover his destiny through random occurrences, which leads him to stalking his sister-in-law with his brother (Helms), who they suspect of adultery. Meanwhile, I hope no one cheated on their midterms...

5. They Came Together

Okay, this one isn’t really thought-provoking, per say. But Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd. Do I need say more? Hopefully, this romantic comedy that mocks all romantic comedies provides a nice break from the other movies’ seriousness.