Medium

The List App (and other ways BJ Novak will change your life)

Although B.J. Novak is better known for his role in "The Office" as Ryan Howard than he is for anything else, the Harvard graduate and triple threat actor, writer and comedian has done a lot more for the world than working as an office temp. 

He recently published a collection of short stories and a children's book. He also co-created the List App, which is arguably the greatest invention to this day. It's exactly what it sounds like, but better. 

1. One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories

Created from journals he kept over eight years as an actor and writer for "The Office," "One More Thing" will challenge any part of you that thought you knew something about the world. He takes basic ideas, like the calendar or a piece of carrot cake, and turns them into a comedic analysis of human existence. 

Sneak peak: the first story of the book follows a rematch of the Tortoise and the Hare. Slow and steady wins the race? Yeah, like that ever turned out to be true. 

2. The Book With No Pictures

Fret no more, fellow babysitters (and anyone who has to deal with another meaningless children's book). B.J. Novak proves that kids don't need pictures to be entertained and that adults can enjoy children's books just as much as the kids they're made for. There is no "lesson" to learn in this book, except that "a picture's worth a thousand words" might need to be revised. 

3. The List App

You guessed it. The List App is an application where you get to make lists, share lists and ask other people to make lists for you. Have you ever thought about how iconic the list is? How many lists you make per day? How your life would be in shambles without it? You will now.

This app takes the list from a boring compilation of things to an intriguing form of story telling. You won't find any grocery list or to-do list here, but rather a collection of lists about news, art, recommendations, anecdotes and stories, by anyone from Anthony Bourdain to The Wall Street Journal.

Check out their Twitter account for featured lists, because there is quite literally a list for everything and everyone. You love Mr. Roger? Check this out. Still don't know why everyone is suddenly talking about Iowa? This list shows you're not alone.