Pit Talk

A brief review of the NCAA tournament from a basketball novice

Who to root for if your bracket is busted:

The Tar Heels, duh. But why?

Well, if you found yourself reading this, you probably have a reasonably invested interest in the NCCA Tournament. Welcome friends.

Let’s do a brief recap of the last few days within the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament...as if I’d be talking about any other NCAA tournament, but oh well.

Image result for unc final four 2016

Source: nj.com

Saturday night Villanova upset Kansas, and the good Catholics advanced to the Final Four on Holy Saturday. #blessed

And on Thursday night, the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame passed-over the Dook Blue Devils to advance to the Elite 8. (Passed-over… like Passover… Last supper... you get it).

“Jesus, bro, my bracket is totally busted.” — St. Peter

Source: Wikipedia

And since we’re all gathered together to relish our rivalry with the worst school in the United States (not really, but hey, let’s all be blinded by irrational hate together), let’s enjoy some of my favorite tweets and commentary from Dook fans before, during and after their loss to tip off the road to Houston.

~eh~ we did a little bit though…

Lol but you didn’t, sorry Dook.

Now, back to the Heels.

We came into the tournament as #1 seed in the Eastern division, but still felt like underdogs.

Our first game we had the luck of the Irish with us on St. Patrick’s Day, at least in the second half of the game *whew*.

Round of 64: FGCU were the 16th seed in the Eastern Region, but at halftime the score was 41-40 in favor of the Heels. This was kind of a reality check for fans for the madness of March Madness — because literally anything could happen in March.

Image result for march madness meme

Source: Memegenerator.net

Next, UNC played Providence College in the round of 32. (Btw, Providence has one of the weirdest looking mascots in the NCAA just look it up). UNC fried the Friars 85-66, moving into the Sweet 16.

Pressure was higher for the Heels this year, as they were eliminated in this round last year after they lost to the cheese-heads from Wisconsin.

Image result for providence university mascot 

I bet you weren’t expecting a derpy Lord Farquaad though.

Source: My.Xfinity.com

Sweet 16:  This year, the Tar Heels played the Indiana Hoosiers after the Hoosiers’ upset to Kentucky in the round of 32. The Heels earned biscuits after the thoroughly rolled Indiana 101-86. It was a Good Friday indeed. Hoosier Daddy amiright??

“Just gotta chill, y’all.”  Source: Newsobserver.com

Elite 8: Nerves and tensions were high as the Heels played Notre Dame on Easter Sunday night. After advancing into the second half with a solid lead, the Heels sealed the deal and qualified for the Final 4 for the first time since 2009. (Can I get an Independence Holl-a??)

Image result for independence hall  

(Caption) [fake quote] “Great pun, Sarah.”

Source: Wikipedia.Com Source: Fansided.Com

Next, UNC will play Syracuse. ‘Cuse has the most terrifying mascot of all, the unbelievable and completely terrifying Orange. Yes. Orange. The Heels play Saturday night.

(Orange you glad I didn’t put a pun in this synopsis??)

I hope you’re ready.

Image result for unc elite 8 2016 roy williams

Source: Forbes.com