Pit Talk

By-The-Numbers: Large lecture class

By the numbers is back! After a brief hiatus last semester, I decided to pick up where I left off, observing UNC students in their element and noticing interesting trends. I decided there was no better place to do this than in a lecture hall, with tons of students crammed into tiny desks, fighting for elbow room, resisting the temptation to visit Facebook for the fourth time (I’m talking to you girl three rows ahead of me). So, without further ado, here at the stats:

• Minutes wasted by the professor trying to figure out “technical difficulties” with projectors and microphones: 11
  • Problems resolved by caliing ITS on the red “Bat Phone”: 0
  • Date/Assignment changes in the syllabus that need to be noted: 2
  • Vague PowerPoint titles like, “Theories, Theorizing, and Ways of Knowing”: 1
  • Friends signing friends into class: 4
  • Number of empty seats in the middle of rows because people are sitting in the aisle seats: 28
  • Stragglers pacing up and down the aisles trying to find a place to sit: 3
  • Polite apologies for forcing people to stand while the stragglers took their seats: 10
  • People playing Sporcle quizzes: 6
  • Angry observers of Sporcle player because he or she had to google Disney movie titles to complete the quiz: Everyone sitting behind the girl three rows ahead of me.
  • Number of clocks in the room: 2
  • Number of clocks placed in locations that are unavoidable to look at: 2
  • Awkwardly loud exits in the middle of class because the person leaving wasn’t supposed to be in the lecutre: 1 (Me. But to my credit, I was extremely apologetic as I made people pick up their laptops as I passed.)

Be sure to visit Pit Talk every Tuesday for a new installment of By-The-Numbers, and remember, everyone is a statistic.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition