From the Press Box

Tar Heels top Monarchs in rivalry matchup

The top-ranked North Carolina field hockey team defeated No. 8 Old Dominion 3-2 in front of almost 900 fans Friday evening, improving its record to 6-1.

UNC extended its all-time series lead against Old Dominion to 37-34-2. The UNC-ODU rivalry is one of the longest and most hotly-contested in all of college field hockey.

“I’m absolutely delighted with the win,” UNC head coach Karen Shelton said. “It was a hard-fought contest, and a typical Old Dominion-North Carolina battle. I thought both teams went extremely hard at each other, that it was well-played, and a physical game. I’m just happy to get a couple of goals at opportune times.”

The Tar Heels scored two first-half goals—one in the 16th minute from Samantha Travers, and another from Jaclyn Gaudioso Radvany in the the 24th.

Though ODU put the ball in the net twice in the first half as well, the first of its goals was recalled on a penalty.

Former Great Britain olympian Charlotte Craddock cushioned the lead in the 56th minute, scoring her first goal as a Tar Heel.

The disciplined Monarchs pressed heavily into the UNC backfield in the second half, but UNC’s defense ultimately held on for the win, despite giving up a late penalty corner goal.

UNC will travel to Winston-Salem on Sunday to open ACC play against Wake Forest.