From the Press Box

How Reggie Bullock's decision to enter the NBA draft affects UNC

After days of speculation, North Carolina junior guard Reggie Bullock finally his NBA decision official.

The Kinston native will bypass his senior season, instead entering the NBA draft.

The NBA’s deadline isn’t until April 28, but there is no longer a period where a player can “test the waters” ­— meaning that should a player declare for the draft after April 16 and before the NBA’s deadline, he is locked into going pro.

Bullock is projected to be the final first round pick by DraftExpress.com.

With Bullock leaving, there are a few questions that need to be answered regarding the future of the team next year.

*What will UNC lose in terms of production? *

Bullock was the third highest scorer on the team last season, averaging 13.9 points per game. The top scorer, sophomore small forward-guard hybrid, P.J. Hairston has already announced that he will be returning.

In his 100 games wearing a UNC jersey, Bullock scored 989 points, just 11 shy of becoming the 69th Tar Heel to score 1,000 points.

Bullock was most well known for his prowess behind the arc. He made 88 of 202 3-point attempts during his junior season, good for the third highest total in UNC history.

And with 6.5 boards per game, Bullock was the second best rebounder behind forward James Michael McAdoo.

*What will UNC’s lineup look like next year? *

With Bullock leaving, there will be a hole to fill on the wing. Hairston could shift back to his traditional role as a shooting guard. But if coach Roy Williams wants to keep Hairston in his converted four spot, freshman J.P. Tokoto could step into Bullock’s vacant spot.

Incoming freshman Kennedy Meeks could immediately step into the center position or share the responsibility with fellow big man Joel James. The addition of Meeks could shift McAdoo back to his recruited position of forward in the four spot should he choose to remain in Chapel Hill for his junior season.

Of the personnel available, redshirt junior Leslie McDonald is a prime candidate to replace graduating senior Dexter Strickland.

He averaged 7.2 points, including 3.9 3-pointers per game.

*How will Bullock’s choice affect recruiting? *

Andrew Wiggins, the top recruit in the country, is still up for grabs.

He’s a small forward, but could step into the Bullock-sized hole in the starting rotation.

Wiggins is scheduled to meet with Williams on Monday, but he’ll also meet with Kansas coach Bill Self on Tuesday.

Bullock’s decision comes on the official start to spring signing period for college basketball, and his absence could be enticing for the Canadian-born Wiggins, who might be looking for a club that needs an immediate play-maker.

But Wiggins is still considering Kentucky, Kansas and his father’s alma mater, Florida State.

Regardless of the developments in the coming weeks and months in recruiting and NBA draft entries, the Tar Heels will need a solution to fill Bullock’s absence.