From the Press Box

More evidence continues to surface in Hairston case

It’s been more than a month since P.J. Hairston’s initial arrest at a Durham traffic stop for driving without a license and a misdemeanor possession of marijuana, and in the last week, the slow-moving case has picked up steam.

On July 3, a report by USA Today revealed the 2013 Yukon driven by Hairston at the time of the June 5 arrest was rented by Haydn “Fats” Thomas of Durham, a convicted felon. USA Today reported that Thomas rented the car for 72 hours at a cost of $1,261.64 from the Hertz at Raleigh-Durham International Airport.

Thomas first said he did not know Hairston and that he rented the car for himself when he let a friend, Miykael Faulcon, borrow it to go to the store. Faulcon was one of the passengers in the car, along with Carlos Sanford, when Hairston was arrested.

“I don’t know P.J. Hairston,” Thomas said in an interview with USA Today. “I know Miykael, his friend. I don’t know anyone at Carolina. I don’t even like the Carolina team. Look at the age disparity between me and those boys. I could be their father.”

Later, in an interview with The News and Observer, Thomas elaborated on his relationship with UNC athletes.

“We throw parties, for Christ’s sake,” Thomas said.

“When I said I don’t know them, I meant, I don’t know you, but you’re talking to me now, right? So I guess I met you.”

Hairston was also pulled over for a speeding violation on May 13 while driving a burnt orange 2012 Chevy Camaro SS, and USA Today discovered that the vehicle was also rented. According to rental receipts, the car was rented by Catinia Farrington, who shares a Durham residence with Thomas. USA Today also reported that the Camaro was rented by Farrington from April 25 through June 17 for $3,249.00.

Hairston is due in court on Aug. 2 to face the charge of going 54 mph in a 45 mph zone on Chapel Hill Blvd.

According to USA Today, the Camaro has also received a parking ticket on UNC’s campus on May 28 for lacking a valid permit. USA Today found that eight other parking tickets were issued to vehicles rented by either him or Farrington during a three-month period.

UNC spokesman Steve Kirschner declined comment on the ongoing Hairston saga.