From the Press Box

No. 4 Tennessee leads No. 12 UNC 40-28 at half

The North Carolina women’s basketball team worked hard in the last seven minutes of the first half to counteract relatively sloppy play in the first 13 minutes, and cut a deficit that grew as far as 14 down to four before suffering a Tennessee run that put the Lady Vols up 40-28 at halftime.

Freshmen Diamond DeShields and Stephanie Mavunga, who had outstanding preseasons and solid games against Air Force in the Tar Heels’ season opening win, struggled to find pace against the Lady Vols early in the half.

DeShields was scoreless through five shots and Mavunga was having trouble on both ends of the court, but the rookies settled into a rhythm by the close of the half.

DeShields ended the half with six points and Mavunga added two points and seven rebounds of her own.

The Tar Heels’ strength in the half came from their veteran leadership. Sophomore Xylina McDaniel led UNC in scoring with seven points and junior Brittany Rountree recorded six points and three steals in the half.

But North Carolina found trouble in facing its tallest opponent yet. UNC was out-rebounded 27-23 and had serious trouble scoring in the paint.

But a zone defense that was designed to provide assistance on the block gave the Lady Vols too much room on the perimeter, as Tennessee knocked down seven shots from outside the arc.

North Carolina’s comeback was cut short late in the half. UNC was able to cut its deficit to four points, but Tennessee went on a run of its own with three minutes left to climb to a comfortable 12-point lead.

But if the Tar Heels are able to calm down and sustain drives in the second half, comfort won’t be an option for either team.