From the Press Box

UNC leads Pittsburgh 24-3 at the half

PITTSBURGH — After allowing Pittsburgh an early field goal, the North Carolina football team stormed back to lead the Panthers 24-3 at halftime.

UNC’s offensive line all but decimated Pittsburgh quarterback Tom Savage in the first half. Savage had five carries and was sacked on all five attempts. Senior defensive end Kareem Martin picked up three sacks and fellow senior Terry Shankle added two more.

Savage left the field with a little less than a minute until halftime after absorbing a hard hit by Norkeithus Otis.

On the other side of the ball, quarterback Marquise Williams scored two rushing touchdowns, becoming the first UNC quarterback to rush for two touchdowns in a game since Darian Durant against Clemson in 2001.

Williams rushed for 60 yards on nine carries and completed eight of 14 attempts for 110 yards.

Freshman Ryan Switzer picked up his second punt return for a touchdown this season, this one coming on a 65-yard return up the right sideline late in the second quarter.

With the touchdown, he tied the school record for punt returns for a touchdown at two. Giovani Bernard also had two punt-return touchdowns last season.