From the Press Box

California ends UNC volleyball's season

For the North Carolina volleyball team, the previous two seasons resulted in the Tar Heels defeating the California Golden Bears in the opening round of the NCAA tournament.

On Friday, however, the Bears returned the favor, bringing the No. 15 Tar Heels’ season to an abrupt conclusion by sweeping them in straight sets (20-25, 18-25, 20-25) in the opening round of the NCAA tournament in Madison, Wis.

The first and second sets were hard-fought by the Tar Heels. Tied at 18 and 15 respectively, Cal used a 3-0 run in each set to attain an edge and ultimately a two-set advantage against UNC.

In the third set, the Tar Heels found themselves down 10-17, and, despite a valiant comeback attempt, the deficit proved to be insurmountable.

Sophomore middle blocker Paige Neuenfeldt led the team with 13 kills and a .667 hitting percentage, and sophomore outside hitter Leigh Andrew finished the night with nine kills and nine digs.

Cal’s .411 hitting percentage and 11 team blocks proved to be two major factors in North Carolina’s defeat.

The Tar Heels finish with a 27-5 overall record and 16-4 record in the ACC.

The season was highlighted by moments like the Tar Heels’ appearance at the No. 10
spot in the AVCA Coaches Poll — the highest ranking in program history — and coach Joe Sagula’s 700th career victory.