Tar Heel Life Hacks

10 Halloween costumes you can make over fall break

Halloween is a pretty big deal in Chapel Hill. People from all over the Triangle come around to strut their stuff on Franklin Street. There will be a lot of people with a lot of great costumes, so you want to make sure that yours is great too. 

With fall break coming up, this week is a great time to get your ducks in a row and get all the pieces for your costume together.

1. 50 shades of grey

Source: Pop Sugar

Get some free paint swatches from the hardware store and pin them onto a grey shirt with bobby pins for an easy, relevant costume.

2. Donut

Source: StudioDIY

Inflate an inner tube and paint on the icing. Then paint some toilet paper rolls for the sprinkles and glue them on.

3. Legos

Source: Country Living

Paint a cardboard box red and cut holes in the box. Put some red solo cups in the holes and write LEGO on the cups. Easy.

4. Bag of jellybeans

Source: shipwreckedonfabulousisland.blogspot.com

Get some balloons and put them in a clear trash bag, then write the nutrition facts on the back.

5. Ninja Turtles

Source: Buzzfeed

If you have a green shirt, get a disposable casserole dish and paint it green too. Then go get some colored fabric and become your favorite ninja turtle! Get your friends to join you too!

6. Black duct tape + all white clothes = ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Source: Smart School House

7. Up costume

Source: One Good Thing By Jillee

You or one of your friends probably already has a grey cardigan and brown pants, so just get some balloons and make the walker out of PVC pipe.

8. Sims costume

Source: YouTube

Take some green origami paper, green pipe cleaners, and a headband to become a character from the sims. Take this costume to expert level with some green LED strips.

9. Travelocity gnome

Source: Costume Works

Get a blue sweater, a brown belt and some cotton or polyester for the beard. Glue the beard material to a party hat and cover the party hat in red felt.

10. Netflix and chill

Source: Reddit

If you don’t mind carrying ice around all night, this costume is pretty simple.