Tar Heel Life Hacks

How to decide which team to root for in the Super Bowl this Sunday

There was a brief time in my life when I was a Denver Broncos fan.

Just because that time coincided with the years Tim Tebow was their quarterback does not mean I base my football loyalties on quarterback attractiveness. 

Although it might, considering I was also a fan of the Browns (who even are the Browns?) when Brady Quinn was playing there…or that I was a fan of the Jets while Mark Sanchez was their quarterback…

OK, so maybe my bias was a little worse than I thought, but hey, you have to pick a team somehow, right?

The point is, I’m obviously really good at picking football teams. So if you’re trying to decide who to root for in the Super Bowl, let me give you a little friendly advice: Don’t pick the Broncos.

In the interest of keeping our friends close and our enemies closer, here’s the rundown on facts you need to know to help you decide that the Carolina Panthers are the team to root for in this year’s Super Bowl. 

Once again, all facts and figures are from ESPN and NFL (so much untapped information there, people). Here we go:

Everything about the Broncos is old.

Let’s just admit it. Peyton Manning is old. Now, I’m not saying he’s not a good quarterback. I think he is. But seriously. This year, he will break the record for oldest starting quarterback in the Super Bowl. He used to be second place, but he’s getting ready to pass himself and John Elway for that honor.

Not only that, the Broncos were established way back in 1960. The Panthers, on the other hand, were founded in 1995, making them a relatively new franchise.

The Broncos lose a whole lot.

Now, I’m not talking about the regular season, because obviously they had to win a lot to make it to the Super Bowl. But, historically, once they get to the Super Bowl…eh.

This will be their eighth Super Bowl, which I admit, is pretty impressive. We have to give credit where credit is due. 

However, they lost five of the Super Bowls they’ve been to, which is actually the highest number of Super Bowls lost by any team in the NFL. Ouch. 

If they lose this year, they will knock themselves out of the top losing spot, which is never a fun feeling.

Their defensive coordinator might be their good luck charm.

Which is weird. In 1989, the first year that Wade Phillips was the defensive coordinator, the Broncos made it to the Super Bowl. 

This year, his first season back with the Broncos as defensive coordinator, they also made it to the Super Bowl. I’m seeing a pattern here. It’s not cool to use people for luck, Broncos.

At the end of the day, if all other logic fails, there’s no shame in using another criterion to help you decide on your team.

Wait for it.

Source: espn.go.com

Source: thesource.com

Happy Super Bowl Week.

@meggiecruser