Tar Heel Life Hacks

Tricks to cheap student travel

Summer is so so so close, and so are the adventures that you’ve been dreaming of taking in new places with cool people.

But then you remember that traveling is expensive and probably more unrealistic than acing your Chemistry final at this point.

The truth is, though, if you want to immerse yourself in new cultures and environments there are ways to do just that — even on a college student budget. With some creativity and energy, you can navigate your way to the ends of the earth. Here’s how:

Know where to look

Websites such as STA Travel and Student Universe cater specifically to students and offer travel experiences and package deals for very little cost — you simply have to verify your university enrollment. Their websites also offer money-saving tips and advice from fellow globe-trotters.

Travel with friends

The buddy system takes on a whole new meaning here because it’s not only a safer way to travel, but a cheaper one as well. Booking group travel deals for airlines, tours and housing can greatly reduce your overall spending.

Take on a challenge

Many companies will help you organize a challenge or join an expedition for charity. You can raise sponsors for your cause, and companies like Global Adventure Challenges and Across the Divide can help you with the rest.

Work for your supper

If you’re willing to put in a little labor for free food and accommodations, you can volunteer as a helper for several listed organic farms, homestays, hostels and lodges around the world through Help Exchange or WWOOF.

Scholarships and prizes

Some travel companies, like World Nomads, offer competitions in travel writing, photography, and documentary footage for a chance to win cash prizes and scholarships to help you fund your journey. You can also check out the UNSECO Study Abroad Guide to find scholarships for programs in over 120 different countries.

There are tons of resources available to you as a college student to make the world accessible to you. With a little time and effort, you can definitely make your summer travel dreams a reality.