Phone records strengthen suspicion of Blake

John Blake resigned Sunday as associate head football coach.

Former North Carolina associate football coach John Blake called friend and sports agent Gary Wichard 151 times between Nov. 5, 2009 and June 22, 2010.

According to phone records from Blake’s university-issued cell phone, the coach communicated with Wichard for three or more minutes via the two men’s cell phones 70 times during that time.

The NCAA, which on June 21 notified the University of its review, requested evidence including phone records to determine whether football players had improper contact with agents.

Wichard represents former Tar Heel and NFL player Kentwan Balmer and has long been friends with Blake, who resigned Sunday amid speculation of his involvement with the NCAA investigation.

As well as being close friends with Wichard, Blake was also under his employ for a brief period in the 1990s after his stint as head coach of the University of Oklahoma.

“When you are unemployed, you do whatever you can do to try to provide for your family,” UNC coach Butch Davis said Tuesday before practice. “That was the option that John got involved with: sports camps, running camps, tutoring young high school kids. That was just the decision he made for that time in his life.”

Athletic director Dick Baddour said Blake’s resignation on Sunday was not a surprise.

“He and I had talked at the end of the week, and he had at least raised the issue or the possibility at that time,” Baddour said. “And he had indicated to me if his presence was a distraction for the team, then he wanted to consider that.”

On Jan. 2, then-juniors Marvin Austin, Kendric Burney, Bruce Carter, Quan Sturdivant and Deunta Williams announced they would return to UNC for their senior season.

According to the records, Wichard and Blake spoke for 10 or more minutes 11 times between Nov. 5 and June 22. Four of those conversations occurred before six UNC players’ Jan. 2 announcement.

Blake and Wichard communicated 52 times between Nov. 5, 2009 and Dec. 26, 2009. There is no record of any incoming or outgoing calls on Christmas Day.

“It’s an unusual amount, and that was one of the things that I wanted to talk to him about when I found out about that,” said Baddour, who added that he learned about the frequent communication during their meeting last week.

Attempts to reach both Blake and Wichard on Wednesday were unsuccessful.

Blake had more than 270 pages of incoming and outgoing calls during the seven and a half months. Most of the numbers from the former recruiting coordinator’s phone records have been redacted, leaving only calls to Wichard, Kenan Football Center and his voice mail.

“Telephone numbers belonging to students are protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act,” Regina Stabile, the director of Institutional Records and Reporting Compliance, said in an e-mail.

Numbers of applicants for admission are protected under N.C. General Statute 132-1.1(f). Employees’ private numbers are protected under statute 126-22, she said.

Senior writer Louie Horvath contributed reporting.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.