UNC gets a visit from Japanese dramatist

4811_japanesetheatre_elizabeth_mendozaf.jpg
Yuriko Doi gives a demonstration of Japanese Theatre at the Center for Dramatic Arts. She will be giving a workshop as well.

Yuriko Doi became a master, a mountain priest and a mosquito in the Center for Dramatic Art Monday morning.

The characters were part of a demonstration that the internationally known dramatist gave as a prequel to her workshop on Kyogen theater to be held today.

Jiayun Zhuang, an assistant professor in the department of dramatic art, introduced Doi to an audience of more than two dozen students and community members in a classroom in the Center for Dramatic Art.

“(Doi’s) been a pioneer in a form of theater traditionally performed by male actors,” Zhuang said.

Doi has practiced Kyogen — classical Japanese comic theater — for close to 40 years, she said.

Kyogen became popular in Japan after World War II.

Kyogen’s primary goal is to entertain the audience and get laughs. It lacks the gravity of other forms of theater, Doi said.

Doi gave a lecture on the history and technicalities of the discipline in addition to her demonstration.

“Kyogen has a more introverted energy in the acting,” Doi said. “There’s more subtlety.”

Doi said that the stories of Kyogen are based on several fundamental stock characters.

Taking a moment to get into character, Doi drew her shoulders back and slowly advanced toward her audience.

“I am the master of this house!” she shrieked.

The characters of Kyogen traditionally introduce themselves in such an outright way, Doi said.

In another characterization, Doi expertly wrapped a long cloth around her head and shaped it to indicate horns.

“And now, I will demonstrate anger,” she said.

Doi proceeded to grimace, wail and rock her head back and forth to communicate her fury.

Kyogen incorporates the use of masks as well as kimonos, cloths and fans. These props are primarily used to portray deities, animals, the elderly and angry people, Doi said.

She donned a mask and stepped toward the back of the room, indicating that she was about to launch into another character.

“I am a mosquito!” she cried. “Today I have to go to the city and go to the people, and I must suck their blood!”

The audience erupted in laughter at Doi’s comic persona.

To finish her demonstration, Doi showed how Kyogen performers convey emotions, particularly joy and laughter.

“I strongly believe that live theater is communication between the audience and the actors on the stage,” she said. “People appreciate Kyogen as comedy because it’s a truly human comedy.

“It’s not just a laugh.”

Contact the Arts Editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.