I would be grossly remiss if I failed to bring you the Hopi message that the world would transform radically in the next 16 months, by the end of the Hopi/Mayan calendar.

I visited the Hopi in 1998-99 in Flagstaff. Though they never talked about their prophecy with me, I was confronted with their book, “Hotevilla: Hopi Shrine of the Covenant : Microcosm of the World Hotevilla.”

In this book, the spiritually advanced traditional Hopi prophesy World War III on page 35 in a glyph on a 1,000-year old pictograph on a rock on the reservation. The Hopi, according to the book, accurately prophesied World War I and World War II before they occurred and boldly told the president at that time and were ignored. It is wise not to ignore the Hopi.

The point of the book, and the point that was so clear when I was in Flagstaff, is that Western “civilization” has created a real mess of native Hopi life. The Hopi are the nation’s spiritual elders … when their ceremonial life is damaged, so goes the nation. They are afraid for themselves and for us.

Whether this prophecy is a deterrent to help us get our act together or if this is simply the bitter truth, I do not know. I suspect the former, knowing the Hopi, but don’t rule out the latter, knowing the Republican Party and American business. In any event, we seem to be in real trouble here.

It is an interesting thing to note that in spite of all of these facts the Mayans, cousin to the Hopi, insist that we will transition to world peace at the end of the calendar without world war.

I suspect that is possible, but we have some work to do, and time is running out.

Seth Leonard
Blacksburg, Va. resident