UNC Breaks Records, Wolfpack `D'

It was a day of records for the North Carolina men's soccer team.

Going into its match with N.C. State, the No. 3 Tar Heels had a chance to break the school record for the best start to a season.

Also, junior forward Chris Carrieri had a chance to inch closer to Derek Missimo's UNC record for goals in a season.

The Tar Heels accomplished both of those feats Sunday and tacked on a few more en route to defeating the Wolfpack 7-1 at Fetzer Field.

North Carolina (14-2, 4-1 in the ACC) surpassed its previous best start of 13-2, which was set in 1980 and '81. The team also tied the school record for most ACC wins in a season by picking up its fourth.

Carrieri tied Missimo's record of 20 goals in a season with two goals during the match.

Carrieri and teammate Caleb Norkus, who also netted two goals, tied Todd Haskins' school record by scoring a goal in their eighth consecutive game.

But there's more.

The seven tallies the Tar Heels scored against the Wolfpack (2-9-3, 0-6) were the most UNC has scored in an ACC game since 1962, when it beat N.C. State 9-1.

Norkus opened the scoring barrage in the match's second minute. He collected a Michael Bucy pass at the right corner of the goal box and fired a shot into the lower left corner of the goal past Wolfpack goalkeeper Mitchell Watson.

In the match's 46th minute, Norkus scored the Tar Heels' fourth goal when a Bucy shot inside the 6-yard box clanged off the crossbar and landed in front of Norkus.

"The first one was Bucy and the second one was Bucy," Norkus said. "The first one he gave me the ball, and I turned on my guy and just stuck it in. The second one, Bucy knocked it off the post, and I was in the right place at the right time and just knocked it in."

UNC defender Danny Jackson scored his first goal of the season in the game's 11th minute on a free kick. His low shot from the top of the 18-yard box banged off the inside of the left post and ricocheted to the right side of the goal and over the goal line.

Carrieri capped the first-half scoring just more than a minute later, taking a Bucy pass and putting it past Watson from about 6 yards out.

Despite the Tar Heels' early lead, they still had many other chances to score in the first half. UNC had six corner kicks after Carrieri's first goal.

"I feel we still struggled too much with our rhythm of play," UNC coach Elmar Bolowich said. "We didn't play intelligently enough, particularly in the first half."

The Tar Heels scored two more goals in the first nine minutes of the second half, the second of which came on a Bucy shot from right in front of the net.

He was assisted by Carrieri, who juked and jived his way to the goal line on the right side of the net before dishing to Bucy. Logan Pause also received an assist on the play, which increased the UNC lead to 5-0.

"He has that acceleration burst," Bucy said of Carrieri. "When you know that, the best thing to do is just find space because he's going to have time to pick up his head and find you."

Less than a minute later, the Wolfpack had its lone bright moment of the day. Nick Olivencia snuck behind the UNC defense and shot on charging Tar Heel keeper Michael Ueltschey.

Ueltschey dived to his right to make the initial save, but Olivencia collected the rebound and shot the ball past a sprawled out Ueltschey and defender Chris Leitch, who attempted to make a back save.

"They try to pack it in and leave players up high who don't defend, and they are usually open," Bolowich said. "As a matter of fact, we got stung on one of their plays where we didn't pay attention to the guy wide open, and they scored a goal off of that, a counterattack."

But the Tar Heels rebounded to score two more goals to finish out the match. C.J. Steffen posted his first goal of the season in the 82nd minute, and Carrieri scored his record-tying goal four minutes later.

"The closer I get, the more I want it," Carrieri said of the record. "But I can't think about scoring goals; what I'm thinking about is us winning and us just keep on going and finishing the season 17-2."

The Sports Editor can be reached

at sports@unc.edu.