UNC Wins 6 Classes at Open

Two UNC wrestlers earned second-place finishes.

Chuckie Connor, Brad Byers, JohnMark Bentley, Chris DiGuiseppe, Corey Bell and Matt Kenny each won individual titles in their respective weight classes.

Jake Reynolds and Clint Osborn were both runners-up for the Tar Heels.

Connor won his first three matches by fall, the quickest being in 39 seconds, before defeating Chris Rodrigues 1-0 in the final of the 125-pound division.

Byers won his first three matches

18-4, 16-3 and 19-7 before winning the 133-pound class by a score of 12-8 against Nate Thoresen of Pensacola Christian College.

Bentley had two wins by fall on his way to the 149-pound final before defeating The Citadel's Wayne Watts 12-6. DiGuiseppe followed that up with a 3-1 decision over Mike Cox of Campbell in the 157-pound final.

DiGuiseppe reached the final by winning his first three matches by scores of 17-2, 3-2 and 5-2.

Corey Bell was strong for UNC at 174 pounds, defeating Princeton's Greg Parker 4-2 in the final.

In the heavyweight class, Kenny wrapped things up for the Tar Heels by defeating Binghamton-SUNY's Dmitry Lisenenkov by fall in 1:44. It was Kenny's second pin of the day.

Reynolds lost a hard-fought match to Princeton's Ryan Bonfiglio 4-1 in the 165-pound final, while Osborn fell to UNC-Greensboro's Dax Pacaro 14-9 in the 197-pound final.

Other Tar Heels to place included Chris Collins (third, 125), John Paul Igoe (fifth, 133), Mike Booth (third, 141), Jay Barnwell (fourth, 149), Mark Canty (fifth, 174), Nick Richmond (third, 184), Pat Fox (sixth, 184) and Ryan Adams (third, heavyweight).