UNC Takes Break From Conference Play

The game will be televised on ABC.

Marquette (7-2, 2-0 in Conference USA) beat Cincinnati 47-44 on Wednesday but is 0-2 in nonconference road games this season.

It is the first meeting between the two teams since 1987. North Carolina beat the Golden Eagles 83-74 in that matchup.

Marquette defeated by both Xavier (75-59 on Dec. 16) and Dayton (61-60 on Dec. 30).

The Golden Eagles are led by 5-foot-10 point guard Cordell Henry and 6-5 shooting guard Brian Wardle, both averaging at least 17 points per game.

The Tar Heels (12-2, 3-0 in the ACC) turned a six-point halftime deficit into a 19-point second-half lead against No. 14 Maryland and held on for a 86-83 win Wednesday.

UNC trailed by five against then-

No. 4 Wake Forest on Saturday before winning 70-69 on Brendan Haywood's game-winning shot with 3.3 seconds left.

Joseph Forte averaged 20.5 points in the last two contests to pace the Tar Heels, who seem to have found a reliable point guard in Ronald Curry (11 points, seven assists against Maryland).

Tar Heels Face Clemson

The North Carolina swimming and diving teams will travel to Clemson to face the Tigers on Saturday.

Both Tar Heel squads are ranked nationally by the Speedo America's College Swimming Coaches Association of America Poll.

The women (4-1 overall, 1-0 in the ACC) are currently ranked seventh while the men (3-1, 1-0) are 14th.

Track and Field Olympians Honored

Six former UNC track and field athletes will be honored during halftime of Saturday's men's basketball game for their participation in the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia.

Eleven former Tar Heels competed at the Games and earned a total of seven medals, including five golds, for the United States.

The Olympians scheduled to appear include LaTasha Colander-Richardson, Monique Hennagan, Nicole Gamble, Allen Johnson, Dominic Demeritte and Nadine Faustin.