Local Officials Reach Out For Resident Input On Master Plan

UNC's Board of Trustees, the Chapel Hill Town Council and Chancellor James Moeser will be discussing potential issues of the University's Master Plan today in the Design Room of the Morehead Planetarium.

The workshop, which will be held from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., will be a chance for residents of Chapel Hill to voice their concerns over the proposed plan and gain feedback from the members of the Town Council, as well as the 11 out of 13 members of the BOT that will be present.

One of the 11 BOT members who will be present at today's workshop is Chapel Hill resident Anne Cates.

"The Board of Trustees are planning to take up the issue in our March meeting," Cates said.

If voted upon, the Master Plan, the University's blueprint for growth for the next 50 years, could take effect with the passing of the $3.1 billion UNC-system bond package passed last November.

The Master Plan, which has been in the planning stages for the past three years, proposes many changes to the UNC campus and Chapel Hill.

Nancy Suttenfield, UNC vice chancellor for finance and administration, said that among the several changes that the Master Plan will allow include adding another entrance to the University.

"Primarily, the purpose is for (contracting firm Ayers Saint Gross) to make a presentation on a new southern access route to the campus," Suttenfield said.

Ayers Saint Gross, the Baltimore-based firm that has been contracted to carry out the Master Plan, specializes in large scale planning for college campuses across the nation.

Jonathan Howes, director of the Master Plan, said a new entrance to campus will rid Manning Drive of much of the existing traffic congestion caused by the construction of South Campus residence halls.

"It will also make this area safer for the pedestrian traffic that is common to this route," Howes said.

But the concern of many Chapel Hill residents is the area that will be affected by the construction of this new entrance.

Town Council member Joyce Brown said residents should be present to voice any concerns they may have about the planned construction.

"There are issues regarding the Master Plan that have implications for the neighborhood, particularly the Mason Farm, Westwood and Whitehead communities," Brown said.

According to the Master Plan, these neighborhoods could experience future construction and transportation issues, Brown said.

Brown also said meetings like this one have "all been well-attended in the past," and she said she is hoping for a large turnout of residents at the meeting.

Those attending the meeting will be allowed to voice any concerns they may have with Ayers Saint Gross and will get to conduct a preliminary interactive session with representatives of the firm.

"(Ayers Saint Gross) will meet with Mason Farm residents before the meeting so that they will know what to expect from the firm's plans for the area," Howes said.

Residents also will hear from BOT members, Town Council members and Chapel Hill Mayor Rosemary Waldorf.

Suttenfield said she encouraged residents to attend the meeting.

"Important questions for the campus and community will be raised, and it's important for as many opinions as possible to show their support and concerns."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.