Police Roundup 03/29/01

University

Wednesday, March 28

A truck backing into the loading dock at Davis Library struck a parked vehicle at 1:21 p.m.

Tuesday, March 27

A UNC employee reported to University police that his parking permit was taken from his vehicle parked in the Kenan Stadium parking lot.

The doors were locked, but the window had been left open.

A Nokia cellular phone valued at $100 was stolen from the bag of a student who was studying in Davis Library.

The student said she went to the reference desk at 1:15 a.m. and upon returning to her seat at 1:25 a.m. noticed that the bag had been tampered with, and the phone was missing.

A delivery person bringing bagels to the Daily Grind Coffee Shop at 5:16 a.m. reported a breaking and entering.

Someone threw a rock through a glass door to enter the store. The cash register was missing $137 in cash.

A UNC employee contacted police at 2:30 p.m. to report damage to the door lock of room 207 in Hill Commercial Building.

A black sign with white writing donated by the Historical Society was reported missing at 8:00 a.m. from Horace Williams Airport.

The sign, which described the origins of the airport, had been up for two weeks.

City

Tuesday, March 27

Chapel Hill police received reports of larceny at midnight.

Reports state that someone removed a Giant bike worth $709.69 from a stair rail outside the residence.

The incident is under further investigation.

Chapel Hill police received reports of a disturbance at 10:10 p.m.

Reports state that someone detonated fireworks outside a residence on South Estes Road.

Leads are exhausted in the case.

Chapel Hill police arrested Justin William Lynch, 19, of 124 Avery Residence Hall at 2:01 a.m., in front of the Gap, 108 E. Franklin St., for underage possession of alcohol, consuming alcohol on a sidewalk and littering.

An officer observed Lynch drink a Miller Lite and throw it on the ground in front of 155 E. Franklin St., reports state.

Lynch is scheduled to appear in Orange County District Court in Hillsborough on May 7.

Monday, March 26

Chapel Hill police received reports of larceny from a motor vehicle at 5 p.m.

Reports state that someone entered a 2000 Ford Ranger parked on Reade Road and took a Motorola cell phone worth $220. The incident is under further investigation.

Chapel Hill police arrested Kannon Sasikumar, 32, of 624 Berwick Valley Lane in Cary.

Reports state that Sasikumar used another person's identification to get a $14,000 loan from the Bank of America.

Sasikumar is being charged with one count of felony theft of identification, one count of felony obtaining property by false pretenses and one count of misdemeanor probation violation, reports state.

He was confined without bond at Orange County Jail. His court date was scheduled for March 27 at Orange County District Court in Hillsborough.

Chapel Hill police arrested Elijah Josiah Walters, 20, of 6503 Treetops Drive, Hilton Head, S.C.

Reports state that Walters was arrested during a search of a car. He was found to have a marijuana pipe in his sock.

He was cited and released for one count of misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia. His court date has been set for June 4 at Orange County District Court in Hillsborough.

Carrboro police were notified of a breaking and entering and larceny at The Villages apartment complex at 1:54 p.m.

One of the victims came home to find his television, VCR and stereo, a total value of $1,250, missing, reports state.

Reports also state that the victim, who was out of town, said that his deadbolt was locked when he left and that he has yet to speak with his roommate about the theft. The case is under further investigation.

Chapel Hill police were notified at 4:14 p.m. of theft of computer equipment from Orange County Literacy Council, 503 W. Franklin St.

A laptop and case valued at $2,200 and software valued at $1,000 were stolen, reports state. The case is under further investigation.