Baseball Ends Drought, Wins 1st ACC Contests

RALEIGH -- After starting the ACC season in an 0-7 hole, North Carolina rebounded in record-setting fashion by pounding out a season-high 24 hits in a 16-7 rout of N.C. State. The Tar Heels then went on to capture the second game in the twin bill 8-7.

UNC moves to 19-13 overall and

2-7 in the ACC on the year while N.C. State falls to 14-15 (5-7).

Offense was the key word of the afternoon as several Tar Heels set season and career highs.

In the first game, freshmen Ron Braun and Brandon Russell both had career days with Braun tallying four hits and Russell adding three, and they were joined by several others in the offensive showcase.

Center fielder Adam Greenberg broke out of a month-long slump with a four-hit performance as Chad Prosser set his career high with a 5-for-5 performance and Russ Adams tallied another four hits.

As much as the game was an offensive explosion, it also provided a very solid relief outing for freshman Dennis Robinson as he came on to pitch the final 7 2/3 innings. Robinson did not allow a run until the final inning.

Robinson picked up the win to move to 2-2 on the year while Dan D'Amato took the loss for the 'Pack to fall to 3-4. Robinson came on in the second to replace starter Jason Howell who allowed four runs in just 1 1/3 innings of work.

Robinson's outing marked the longest of the season for a Tar Heel until teammate Ralph Roberts did him one better with 6 2/3 innings pitched.

UNC freshman pitcher Whitley Benson held off a late Wolfpack charge in the ninth to secure the save.

N.C. State got the ninth off to a fast start with Joe Gaetti's single down the left field line. With momentum in its hands, the 'Pack batted around and put four runs on the board, but it wouldn't be enough to top the Tar Heels.

For UNC, Russell, Greenberg and Prosser's hot bats continued into the night. Russell and Greenberg hit 2-for-3 while Prosser was 2-for-3 on the night.

Greenberg led the North Carolina squad with three RBI.

Designated hitter Jeremy Cleveland hit a two-run home run for the Tar Heels in the top of the first.

The Tar Heels also pieced together a big seventh inning, as they scored five runs on the Wolfpack's pitchers.